We Need A Tony Blackburn 'Best Of' CD.

Big L 266 15:02 20 May 10

Hello.

I have often wondered why no enterprising cd reissue company has never issued a 'best of' the back-catalogue of Tony Blackburn singles and album cuts yet.

If memory serves,he was a carabret singer just prior to joining Radio Caroline in 1964 as a disc jockey. Throughout his radio career he has issued some quite good albums and singles which never see the light of dawn now.He recorded for Fontana, MGM, Polydor and RCA Victor amongst others,and released a single under the name of Kenny Gamble.

Tracks such as "Don't Get Off That Train", "Its Only Love", "So Much Love", "Chop Chop" plus his album tracks would make a great cd don't you think?

Add in the Johnny Dankworth Orchestra track 'Beefeaters' in both its original single form and revised slowed down form with 'Arnold', and mixed in with some timely Radio Caroline & Radio London,radio jingles, and I'd be off down the shops(ok...purchase via the interweb) to get a copy.

Do I have the support of the entire PC Advisor readership to approach Cherry Red Records with this idea?

Sensational!

Big L 266

nangadef 15:30 20 May 10

Ugh, no!

Cymro. 15:44 20 May 10

You answer you own question when you say
"no enterprising cd reissue company has never issued a 'best of' the back-catalogue of Tony Blackburn".
If there was any chance whatsoever of such a thing selling then you can bet your life that it would have been done.

Mind you I don`t think that TB was as bad as he was made out to be by some in the media. He was just a sort of character that everyone loved to hate but only because someone somewhere thought it a good joke to slag him off all the time. It just sort of snowballed from there.

ronalddonald 19:28 20 May 10

nagadef you don't know what Tony Blackburn represents, i use to listen to the coolest DJ around who is Tony Blackburn he was the bet in my time way back in the 1970's and the 1980's until the beeb got rid of him.

Big L you have my permission and my blessing, it would be good to hear him with all that soul funky music a class by itself yes indeed it would great to hear than the boring dj's you get today ie to many commercials not enough music.

Tony was and will always be a class by itself. The man played music that other radio stations were scared to play.

ronalddonald 19:32 20 May 10

oh come on pc forum whats wrong with Tony hes a class by itself and he always played groovy music.

ronalddonald 19:52 20 May 10

bring back Tony bring back Tony

morddwyd 20:53 20 May 10

You've got more chance of getting a "Best of Tony Blair" cd (and speaking personally I would prefer it)!

Eargasm 23:02 20 May 10

@ Big L 266 "and released a single under the name of Kenny Gamble "
Probably a typo, but it was as Lenny Gamble that he recorded the single " Anything she wants me to do"

Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff were responsible for the "Philly Sound" ( to rival Motown ? ) and had major hits with the O'jays, Harold Melvin etc...

I used to like TB as a DJ but for me as a singer it's a NO NO !

KremmenUK 06:59 21 May 10

I just found a CD with 'the best of Tony Blackburn'

It was blank :D

Big L 266 07:57 21 May 10

Hello.

1.ronaldonald....I didn't mean get TB back playing soul,I meant a 'best of' cd of TB singing from his music back-catalogue!Tony Blackburn for Radio 2! Hear!Hear!

2.morddwyd....What a cheek! Tony Blackburn for PM and I am unanimous in that!

3.Eargasm....Oops!I've got tribble with my spilling mistooks agoon! Of course it should've been Lenny Gamble!Gamble & Huff of the 'Philly' sound especially in the late 60s and most of the 70s were brilliant. We really do need a TB 'best of' honest!

4.KremmenUK....Not THAT Kremmen of the StarCorp with Carla and the professor who can't pronouce his 'rrrsssss'? A blank 'best of' cd indeed! Tsk! Tsk!

Time for a petition on the No.10 website.

Big L 266

Quickbeam 08:57 21 May 10

Will it feature Arnold on backup woofs...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…