We don't encourage charity related threads,

Forum Editor 22:24 29 Oct 07

or anything which involves getting people to sign petitions, but this is different, and I make no apology for posting about it.

click here

I can't think of too many better ideas than that of donating a cheap but effective laptop to be used by a child in a developing country, and although this scheme isn't going to operate in the UK at first the time will come.

Bingalau 23:13 29 Oct 07

Sounds very commendable FE..

Snec 01:20 30 Oct 07

How is it different?

Jak_1 01:27 30 Oct 07

Sounds good to me, in this age of computerised everything then children need the computing skills required for when they do eventually go out to work.

i have to agree with snec, i really dont see how this is different? there are people dying, people being sold, children being abused, health carers working for free the world is messed up, this is a good cause but surely charity is a massively wide scope and i thought that was the reason it wasnt encouraged?

crosstrainer 06:44 30 Oct 07

Problem with the concept. However, is it really THAT much of a priority when basics such as food, clean water, clothing, medical care, basic education and human rights, need to be addressed first?

A laptop would be considered a luxury item buy many people living under much more favourable conditions.

newman35 06:58 30 Oct 07

Sorry, but I also cannot see the difference between this and a multitude of other 'begging letters' that pull at the heartstrings. Because it's 'computing', maybe??
I think you are opening up a scenario here of 'Do as I say, not as I do'.
Either the site should allow no commercial begging, or we should all be allowed to add our own deserving charities links, surely?

Forum Editor 07:01 30 Oct 07

Think about it - the real way forward for developing countries is education, without it these countries will forever be plagued by tribal wars and power struggles, or remain dependent on foreign doctors, mining engineers, software writers,legal professionals, and teachers.

Educate the children, and do it in a way that equips them to function in the modern world, and you provide their countries with a future. You also help to lighten the load on the first world in terms of aid payments. it's not a quick fix, but it's the only one in the long term.

Giving each child a $100 laptop isn't going to solve the problem overnight, but it's one of the better ways to help people to help themselves.

How is this different? The scheme was initially set up to sell these machines to governments, and no doubt that will continue to be its main way forward. What has happened is that the organisers have been inundated with requests for computers from people in America and Europe - they want to give them to their children - so the idea of buying one and giving one was evolved. It's not a charity appeal, per se, which is why I'm posting it. Nobody's asking for your money - you can't buy these machines at the moment - but eventually you might be able to think about doing it.

Forum Editor 07:06 30 Oct 07

This isn't "commercial begging", as you would have realised, had you read the link properly. The scheme isn't functioning here, in Europe, and it's only going to run in America for a limited period - your money's quite safe.

"Do as I say, not as I do"?

If that's what you think, you've completely missed the point - I repeat, nobody is asking for your money, this isn't a charity thread. I simply thought the concept was a good one, nothing more than that, so please don't selectively interpret.

crosstrainer 07:07 30 Oct 07

If said child has access to the basics I mentioned above, then I agree....It's just a question of priorities...A laptop isn't much use to a child who is hungry or devoid of the things we take for granted.

Education is indeed the way forward, and without it, progress can never be achieved. However without sound infrastructure many children will never SEE a school or have access to books or teaching.

laurie53 08:09 30 Oct 07

'We don't encourage charity related threads,'

except ones the FE thinks are "different".

Sorry FE. Either you do, or you don't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…