We don't always appreciate how lucky we are

Forum Editor 20:01 03 Sep 10

to live where we do, until we get a stark reminder.

I've just taken a call from a client who lives and works in Christchurch, New Zealand. He was standing outside his house with his wife and two daughters, having been rudely awakened about three hours ago by what he describes as 'a massive earthquake'.

His house has been badly damaged, and he says that of one of his neighbours has been half destroyed.

He was calling me because his company's network has gone down, and his home computer is wrecked. I'm not sure what he expects me to do about it from London. but he was badly shaken, and reacting rather than thinking - as I would no doubt be doing in similar circumstances.

Does anyone remember the earthquake that shook us late-nighters as we debated in the forum one night a few years ago? I seem to remember it was around midnight - it was certainly late at night, and a few of us felt the earth move, so to speak.

Al94 20:07 03 Sep 10

My wife says the earth moves for her frequently!

Legolas 20:10 03 Sep 10

I take it she has a treadmill

dagbladet 20:16 03 Sep 10

I was in bed on the third floor of a travelodge in Hampshire when the Manchester(?) earthquake rumbled and woke me up. Not the noise but a strange gentle but persistent shudder. Had no 'net, didn't know what it was. Shocked to find out next morning.

morddwyd 20:57 03 Sep 10

You're quite right and there are daily reminders.

When I complain about the heat, and then there is a news report about 40 deg in Russia, or my wife complains about the rain, and Pakistan comes up.

Flak999 21:08 03 Sep 10

We are indeed very lucky to live where we do. New Zealand is on the boundary of the indo-Austarlian plate and the Pacific plate.

It is usually places on the plate boundaries that suffer most in earthquakes, as can be seen from this map click here

lotvic 21:43 03 Sep 10

Market Rasen earthquake of 27 February 2008
click here
magnitude of 5.2 (ML) on the Richter scale near Market Rasen, Lincolnshire at 00:56 GMT
I remember it woke me up and the house 'shifted', it was weird and I didn't know what it was until the newscast next morning.

Al94 22:31 03 Sep 10

No!

birdface 22:51 03 Sep 10

7.4 so quite a large one.

click here

ella33 23:46 03 Sep 10

I remember being woken up with the house shaking, too. Then it sounded like there was someone running about on the roof! It never occurred to me to get up, or that it could get worse and these houses are not earthquake proof of course.

However, we had no structural damage, or injuries although other areas did, but that was bad for us.

I was also reading reports about the hurricane season having been bad this year. It must also be frightening to wake up to sirens and take the kids down to the cellar.

sunnystaines 08:07 04 Sep 10

tried to emigrate to christchurch a few years ago, got turned down through lack of a degree perhaps glad i did not go.

we were close to haiti when they had their quake, my wife was on a high floor and felt the hotel shake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…