We all complain about the rising cost of food,

Forum Editor 07:24 AM 02 Oct 13
Answered

but do you really know what everyday items cost?

wee eddie 08:02 AM 02 Oct 13

Hate to admit this but you wouldn't catch me dead, buying any of the items mentioned, except the vegetables

john bunyan 08:03 AM 02 Oct 13

As I do the shopping I got 7/7 (the beer was a guess)

Mr Mistoffelees 08:58 AM 02 Oct 13

I don't do the shopping but, got 4 right. Got the bear wrong because I don't drink lager.

Mr Mistoffelees 08:59 AM 02 Oct 13

Don;t know where the bear came into it! Should read beer.

fourm member 09:15 AM 02 Oct 13

But it isn't 'What everyday items cost?' It is 'What figure the ONS uses for its inflation model?'

As various commentators have pointed out, no-one knows the price of a loaf of bread because it varies from shop to shop and time to time.

Asking a politician to name the price of a commodity is lazy journalism and, if it is done on TV, means the time when an important question could have been asked is wasted.

Brumas 09:28 AM 02 Oct 13

Does one actually shop? Harrods have delivered ours for years so one has absolutely no idea, that's why one has a housekeeper ;o}

Back to reality ;o} I also do the shopping and scored 4/7 like Mr Mistoffelees. I got the bread question wrong, but could tell you the prices of bread flour, because like the PM, me and the breadmaker make our own bread.

spider9 09:36 AM 02 Oct 13

"..means the time when an important question could have been asked is wasted."

Surely better to have a bit of fun and hope to make the politician look inept, since any serious question will likely be deflected and a 'stock' answer, to whatever question they WANT to answer would then be produced, anyway.

Ex plorer 09:36 AM 02 Oct 13

I do all my own shopping score 4/7.

shopping round can help, one Item I like, locally cost £2 and £1.70 in two different shops, a shop nine miles away sells it for £1 so when passing I buy five at a time when required.

Woolwell 10:21 AM 02 Oct 13

I only got 2/7 and I do all of the weekly shopping but this wasn't about the weekly shop as it included MOT. Also I don't buy many of the items in that way as I too bake the bread.

fourm member 10:25 AM 02 Oct 13

spider9

'any serious question will likely be deflected and a 'stock' answer, to whatever question they WANT to answer would then be produced, anyway'

That seems to me to be moving along the road to saying that all interviews with politicians are a waste of time.

'better to have a bit of fun'

Is that really how we want political debate to be handled? We know all about the contempt for politicians. How do you address that if you can't tell the difference between an interview with a politician and a comedy panel show?

General comment

It's worth saying that, in the linked quiz, I got the price of beer wrong because I don't drink. As Brumas noted Cameron doesn't buy bread. Why should he know the price?

Of course, as ever, it is damned if you do... If Cameron had reeled off a list of food prices I'm sure someone would have accused him of wasting his time learning trivia rather than dealing with important issues.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites