Water cooling, Any suggestions?

wolfie3000 23:03 17 Apr 07

With the summer coming closer i am thinking of my poor pc sweating while i play games,

And am thinking or investing in some water cooling system, but which is the best?
And what precautions should i take also to keep my pc happy in the warmer weather?

ulrich 23:25 17 Apr 07

With plenty of room to breathe. What spec is your pc now?

I would like water cooling but I also like to mess about in my pc so it would be a hindrance.

Forum Editor 23:37 17 Apr 07

but it isn't necessary. I regularly work with computers in climates where daytime temperatures exceed anything that the British climate can come up with, yet very few people use water cooling.

The important thing, as far as a computer is concerned, is to maintain a good airflow over the components. The cooling effect of such an airflow can be substantial; it's the windchill effect that we all experience when a breeze drops the apparent temperature by ten degrees or so on a cool winter's day. The greater the volume of cooler air that you can move through a computer's case in a given time, the greater the temperature drop on the components will be, up to a point.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that their computer will be helped on a hot day if they remove one of the case panels, but, all other things being equal, the opposite is true. The case must be closed so that the fan(s) can pull air through the inside, over the heated components, and out at the back - the exhausted air is noticeably warmer. Some components, like CPUs and graphics cards will have their own fans which pull air up through heatsinks - finned metal structures which are designed so that they have a maximum surface area exposed to the air flow. The conductive properties of the metal take heat out of the component, and the cooling air flow cmpletes the job of lowering the component temperature.

To ensure maximum cooling, make sure the case is clean inside - remove accumulated dust using a blast of compressed air, obtainable in aerosol containers from any good computer shop. Then make sure that your fans are running well, and add one if you think it will help. Make sure that you install fans so that they work together to move air in one direction through the case - put an intake fan in the front, and an exhaust fan at the rear.

Finally, help matters by keeping a good air flow through the room where the computer sits, and make sure that your machine isn't placed where it will be in direct sunlight.

Water cooling for computers is a great innovation, and I'm all for it, but I assure you it's not essential.

wolfie3000 23:44 17 Apr 07

Thanks FE,

I will bear that in mind,

My rig is cleaned regularly even if it doesnt need it with a small pc hoover and a can of compressed air,

I also leave my case panels on (you advised me about that last year).

But i do really stretch my pc to its limits when playing games such as having the games set to there highest resolution and highest quality,

And iv been advised in other forums (gaming) to invest in a water cooling system.

Plus there are other benefits of water cooling like noise reduction as it doesnt need fans,

also i might need to invest in a higher powered PSU as the water cooling system takes up alot of power.

Kate B 23:47 17 Apr 07

My PC is watercooled - I went for it because I wanted a quiet PC.

wolfie3000 23:48 17 Apr 07

which one did you get Kate B?

Iv looked at a few and cant decide.

Forum Editor 00:00 18 Apr 07

less noisy running is indeed one of the big benefits of a water-cooled computer, and one which I omitted to mention.

Kate B 00:22 18 Apr 07

My PC was built by Voodoo click here (now owned by HP) - not sure which makes they used. Sorry not to be more helpful on that, but it is a very quiet PC, only two case fans. Though you do hear the odd gurgle ...

ulrich 18:05 18 Apr 07

Is good but like I said it gets in my way. I am running a Thermaltake Armour with a super quiet 25cm fan on the side, there are 2 more 120mm fans front and back, XP4000 cpu o/clocked with a large quiet Thermaltake cooler. 8800 evga superclocked card. Processor and M/Board are running at 32c. G/Card running at 51c using 59% fan speed it doesn't get a lot hotter playing Call of Duty, Sturmovik 46 or Silent Hunter 4, I also have a Seasonic 600w psu. It is very quiet and cool.

DrScott 02:18 21 Apr 07

Hi! I wrote you a long answer to your problem but PCA crashed before it could be posted and my words were lost!

In summary though, if you are thinking about a DIY WC set up then are lots of things you need to think about. First do you want to WC just the CPU, or the VGA and Northbridge as well? How big a radiator do you want? Are you happy with an external radiator or will you need to mod your case to fit one in? And if you're just WC your CPU you'll need to ensure you still have good airflow through your PC to cool the other bits. Then there's the high flow versus low flow loop argument, and whether you want one or two loops. It goes on!

But for starters Swiftech do a very good simple WC package - the H2O Apex Ultra click here.

For more advice I've often turned to CustomPC click here - they did a good review a while back on WC a PC. Overclockers UK also gave me good advice on case choice click here

Hope that helps! On another note, I've not been around on PCA for while mainly due to exams and also the chaos that is the medical training reform. But I will be back (more frequently!).

wolfie3000 03:18 21 Apr 07

Thank you Dr Scott i will take your advice on board,

Also i will check out the links you posted a bit later as im due for an online game of Halo in about 5 minutes :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5