Watching the Royal Institute lectures?

Forum Editor 15:00 30 Dec 08

These talks are always on my list for Christmas/New year viewing, and this year they're about computers. Last night's first lecture by Chris Bishop, chief research scientist at Microsoft Research in Cambridge and professor of computer science at the University of Edinburgh, was a promising start to what looks like being a fascinating series.

The second lecture is at 7:15 tonight on Channel Five.

newman35 15:05 30 Dec 08

Never miss them - excellent !

€dstowe 15:15 30 Dec 08

I was a willing (????) volunteer on stage at the RI lectures many years ago when Eric Laithwaite gave his series of lectures on gyroscopes. He was a big man but this belied his very schoolboy-like attitude to all the strange things he was making happen. A very pleasant memory.

click here

SB23 16:24 30 Dec 08

I hadn't given them a thought this year, but from 7.15 tonight I'll be busy watching them.

Thanks FE.

LinH 16:32 30 Dec 08

Thanks for that FE, I'll certainly be watching that.

LinH

newman35 16:44 30 Dec 08

I remember Eric Laithwaite demonstrating the 'floating train' technology using a track and induction in the theatre. Very impressive. Was Lecturing Engineering at Manchester University, and certainly helped me!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 30 Dec 08

Never miss the lectures have been waching them for must be 30 yrs or more now.

Chegs ®™ 17:34 30 Dec 08

It was the lecture on gyroscopes that first got me interested in this series.The programme was demonstrating how a gyroscope could store energy and there was a mat laid across the studio floor with the end raised.The gyroscope was spun upto speed and then dropped onto the mat,it hit the roof of the studio!

Binnacle 17:43 30 Dec 08

I have watched these lectures for more years than I care to remember.Tonight sould be fascinating.Not to be missed if you are interested in computers

WhiteTruckMan 21:45 30 Dec 08

as they have been a firm favourite in the past. Sadly however, time and work pressures mean I will have to give them a miss.

WTM

Forum Editor 23:49 30 Dec 08

I think the series might grow on you as it proceeds. Bear in mind that it's designed to be understandable to children - that's the whole idea of the lectures.

I've heard Chris Bishop speak on several occasions, and he can be fascinating when in full flow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced