Waste not want not!

TopCat® 13:15 15 Jun 07

If only we could when it comes to some printer cartridges.

PCAs Rosemary Haworth today reports click here on the results of an independent test commissioned by Epson.

" In what is believed to be the first independent test of this kind, vast amounts of wastage were revealed. And no matter which printer you choose, around half the ink you pay for goes unused." she says. Makes you think, doesn't it? TC.

Quickbeam 13:25 15 Jun 07

None wasted in mine... I don't change the cartridge until the paper prints out blank!

Pine Man 13:41 15 Jun 07

Quite right that's why I changed to a canon printer from an Epson. Once my Epson had decided it was empty you couldn't use it. The Canon tells you it's empty but you can continue as long as you want!

anskyber 13:44 15 Jun 07

It makes me think I am glad I bought a printer with individual ink tanks (5) so that I can replace them as each colour runs out, and I mean when they have run out not when the printer warns of low ink levels.

Which of course is the point of the Epson inspired survey to demonstrate, if it ever needed demonstrating, that single multi coloured tanks will have ink left in them when the first colour runs out and the whole tank has to be replaced.

The key missing element of the survey though is the cost per print to the consumer in either scenario or between multi tank printers.

anskyber 13:45 15 Jun 07

Yes, mine is a Canon and I can print to the bitter end.

TopCat® 14:21 15 Jun 07

Huh! Here was I thinking my old Epson CS760 was the 'cat's whiskers' for my purposes. It never crossed my mind that a single multi-coloured cartridge had only emptied just one of them when the printer came to a stop!

I reckon it's about time I used up my remaining cartridges and got myself a printer with individual ink tanks. I'll let it be known to my immediate family that I need a new, economical general purpose printer for Christmas. Won't do me much good but it might make 'em feel uncomfortable!! :o) TC.

Stuartli 15:11 15 Jun 07

I bought a Canon BJC 600e at a cost of £394 in March 1996 from Makro - it had four individual inkjet cartridges.

A few years later Canon joined the multi-filled cartridge elite but, eventually, realised its mistake and reverted back to individual cartridges.

To be honest I can't really see what Epson was trying to prove with this survey - the results were known before it was even commissioned I would have thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…