Wasp nest in lilac tree!

the hick 17:46 25 Jun 08

Just found a wasp nest, about 5 inch diameter, in lilac tree, around 7 feet above ground, any ideas on best way to remove it please?

ray7 17:54 25 Jun 08

Safest way is to call in the experts. You may not be stung by the wasps but could be by the expert!

Cheapest way. Purchase a Wasp Killer aerosol. Keep well covered for safety and spray into the nest.

I've tried it successfully.

wiz-king 18:01 25 Jun 08

I would just add spray the nest opening very early in the morning about 5AM if you can - wasps sleep in when its dark and cool.

sunny staines 18:01 25 Jun 08

i too have used wasp spray very effective, use in the evening when they are sleepy and cover up.

crosstrainer 18:02 25 Jun 08

With extreme caution....They do say that smoke will pacify wasp's, but I have never tried it. I did once walk into a wasp's nest which had fallen out of a tree, and was stung hundreds of times.

My face was so swollen I could not open my eyes for day's. I agree this is a job for a bee-keeper or such like.

What about the RSPCA?

Forum Editor 18:08 25 Jun 08

it may be a hornets' nest, and if they have a serious sense of humour failure you'll know all about it. There are all kinds of lurid tales about hornet stings being fatal, but they are just that - tales. People have been killed by hornets, but usually because they were allergic to the venom, or because they had multiple stings. A hornet sting is very painful though, and best avoided.

The way to deal with a smallish nest is to get it into a polythene bag and into a fridge. That's not as easy to do as it is to say, but what you're aiming to do is free the nest from the bush it's in - usually by snipping the twigs to which it's attached - and letting it gently fall into a bag large enough that it can be tied shut at the top. Then put the whole thing into the fridge (or freezer if it will go) and leave it overnight. Everything in it will be dead long before morning.

If you can't do that you can try buying a freezer spray - they're sold in plumbing shops - and spraying the nest until you've killed the inhabitants. Otherwise you'll need to call a pest control company and let them handle it, but act quickly - if it's a wasp's nest it will get bigger and bigger, and by August there could be thousands of wasps to deal with.

If you're going to go nest snipping, or freezer spraying wait until late evening - the inhabitants will all be tucked up for the night.

Earthsea 18:18 25 Jun 08

The council should send someone round for a small fee if you don't fancy removing it yourself. I think it's about £40 or £50, but not sure.

lotvic 18:36 25 Jun 08

I do not want to come to watch - so I won't.

Coffee Adict 18:50 25 Jun 08

I had a wasps nest a couple of years ago in an out house, we got along fine, I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me.

They do a lot of good work in the garden, very fond of caterpillers and such.

Just thought they needed a bit of PR work there.

Bingalau 19:11 25 Jun 08

Funny I was just going to say the same. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. However I realise it is a different story if there are children who play in the area. I would pay for the experts myself. All these methods such as dropping the nest in to a plastic bag and freezing, sound ruddy dangerous to me. There's many a slip, twixt cup and lip.

micky d 00:00 26 Jun 08

I can't believe you're suggesting to freeze the poor bleeders to death!

If you can manage to get the nest into a plastic bag then why not relocate them?

Wasps aren't homicidal maniacs you know.
As long as you don't flap about like Lee Evans doing the fandango( click here)then i doubt they're going to sting you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now