Was David Starkey being racist?

Flak999 21:52 13 Aug 11

There has been a lot of furore over comments Dr David Starkey made last night on newsnight.

Were his comments racist or was he merely telling the unvarnished truth that the pc liberal elite cannot acknowledge?

Starkey on newsnight

Toby Young writing today in the Telegraph thinks not!

Toby Youngs blog

zzzz999 23:20 13 Aug 11

He puts the blame for the riots on 'Black culture', if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck its a duck.

He is a vile wee man who loves being controversial, I hope that's the last wee see of the man

rdave13 23:42 13 Aug 11

Look at the footage of the riots on iplayer then decide for yourself.

OTT_B 23:44 13 Aug 11

"Was David Starkey being racist?"

I was ready to listen to the interview and find an argument to say that the context of his comments justified everything. No such luck.

Yes, he was being racist. No two ways about it.

rdave13 00:00 14 Aug 11

I agree but a lot of other people are too, unfortunately, hence the problems. Iplayer seems to have removed a lot of information. Only other source is YouTube unfortunately. A lot of this is to do with culture and the fact that the poor are getting poorer and no hope of jobs. Certainly inflated by even more immigrants to this country. This is my opinion only.

festering hate in this country

OTT_B 00:41 14 Aug 11

"......and the fact that the poor are getting poorer...."

Are the poor getting poorer? How do you measure that? What is the definition of poor?

"Certainly inflated by even more immigrants to this country."

Certainly? How so?

rdave13 00:46 14 Aug 11

OTT_B

Are you seriously asking these questions or taking the mickey?

OTT_B 00:49 14 Aug 11

Very serious, rdave13.

Your post just struck me as over generalised with no support for your comments, and presented in a manner that assumed that everyone reading would automatically understand where you viewpoint comes from.

rdave13 01:02 14 Aug 11

OTT_B

Please forgive me for my obtuseness.

I am poor. I earn £7.14 an hour. I had a 2% rise this year which is 2% of buggerall is buggerall.

No doubt you are a high earner as food and fuel prices won't affect you as much. Your 2% will be worth much more than £4 per week extra I'll get.

It's not so much generalisation but to do with the majority of people who reside in this country be they indigenous or otherwise.

OTT_B 01:12 14 Aug 11

rdave13,

more assumption there, I'm afraid.

I am not a high earner. I had no pay rise this year. Fuel prices affect me more than you could know.

But here's the thing. You haven't addressed the question of how poor is defined, much in the same way as I haven't explained my statement that I am not a high earner.

If you look at being rich or poor purely in terms of money earned then you're on a losing battle. If you look at rich and poor in terms of expendable income then that doesn't mean much either - having little expendable income (in absolute monetary terms) means nothing if there's nothing the person wants to buy.

So, I ask again, how do you define poor? How are the poor getting poorer and how is immigration making matters worse?

rdave13 01:29 14 Aug 11

OTT_B

Now you're talking twaddle. I've stated my wages and you haven't. Why not? If you can't be honest enough to compare like with like your argument is not valid. To add insult to injury my firm I work for (15 years) had to have my Birth Certificate as the Immigration Dept. has made it a legal requirement. I had the short one, signed 57 years ago by a registrar, but it wasn't good enough. Had to go back to get a standard one and used the original short one as proof. That's to do with immigration and still baffled why I needed a standard one when the short one was proof enough for the registrar.

As one of the lowest earners, of indigenous status, I feel that I am now a second class citizen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now