Warning sounded on web's future

peter99co 13:09 15 Sep 08

The use of the web to spread fears that flicking the switch on the LHC could create a Black Hole that could swallow up the Earth

click here

This seems a bit alarmist,what do you think?

The report goes on, "On the web the thinking of cults can spread very rapidly and suddenly a cult which was 12 people who had some deep personal issues suddenly find a formula which is very believable," he said. "A sort of conspiracy theory of sorts and which you can imagine spreading to thousands of people and being deeply damaging."

Seth Haniel 16:24 15 Sep 08

against Religion.

wonder which 12 he was on about !!!!!!

babybell 16:44 15 Sep 08

In a way I can see what he means but how you can police something like that, especially when you think there is already billions of sites, is beyond me.

Without straying too much from the topic, it sounds like a modern day version of 'The World of the Worlds' in which the radio broadcast meant people took their own lives when it was just a radio play!

The rate in which information can be spread on the net is incredible and if something alarmist gets on there, then it would spread very quickly even if there isn't an ounce of truth in it!

peter99co 16:54 15 Sep 08

The Cult of 12 has a ring to it. I thought the same.

I think our FE would soon stop anything to alarmist from taking off. We are safe on here although we do get some surprising observations of lifes little problems.

Forum Editor 18:02 15 Sep 08

that there are millions of people who think that just because they read something on a web site there must be some truth in it. In the same way, the same people believe that what they read in the newspapers, or see on TV is true.

Fortunately there are millions of other people who use a bit of common sense,and I think they're the majority. I don't have any worries about the power of the internet - we can handle it.

Legolas 18:23 15 Sep 08

Totally agree FE.

I remember when I was young and in school whatever the teacher said had to be right, when you become an adult you realise that everyone, including teachers can make mistakes.

Anyone who swallows everything the see/read on the Internet has a serious gullibility problem, unless of course they are getting their info from wikipedia because as we all know they are always right...

peter99co 18:42 15 Sep 08

I know a supermodel who likes big RED blokes with FAT noses.

Forum Editor 18:55 15 Sep 08

The right answer might be that you aren't rich or famous, or both, or you don't have a good sense of humour, or you aren't perceived as a good provider.

That's the problem; there are often many right answers, and as you say, lots of people prefer to select the one they find most acceptable, or the one that appeals to their sense of mystery, or their innate paranoid tendencies. This isn't a specifically internet-related problem, it applies to all mass media to a degree. The one way in which the internet is different however - and I suspect it's the reason for Tim Berners Lee's concern - is that it's almost entirely unregulated; anybody can publish a site and fill it up with his or her theories and opinions on just about anything, and it might be seen by very large numbers of people. In that respect it's unlike other media - newspapers and TV companies are subject to legislative and editorial checks and balances.

Broadly speaking I'm in favour of maintaining the status quo - I believe we can live with it and manage it. Civilised societies are not going to descend into chaos because some vaguely deluded people publish a load of uninformed rubbish on a few websites.

bluto1 23:24 15 Sep 08

12 Apostles??? -))

wiz-king 07:08 16 Sep 08

Does she like the horny reindeer as well?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009