Wargraves?

WhiteTruckMan 14:27 04 Sep 10

I think a lot of people know that sunken warships are regarded as wargraves (with the proviso that life was actually lost during the sinking) and remains the property of its nation irrespective of which nation it is.

But does the same apply to warplanes? This

click here

was the article that got me thinging about this. It seems like no one bats an eyelid when an old plane turns up in some corner of the world.

WTM

natdoor 17:22 04 Sep 10

The article states that two men died but presumably their bodies are not at the site. Since survived and were captured, it is possible that the othertwo died later from injuries caused in the crash or from whatever brought the plane down.

Forum Editor 18:30 04 Sep 10

Generally not.

When ships sink, or are sunk, there may be dozens or even hundreds of lives lost, and the water may be deep - too deep to make recovering bodies a practical proposition. When aircraft are shot down over the sea the same circumstances apply.

When aircraft crash, or are shot down over land there are usually fewer people involved, and the bodies will almost always be recovered.

john bunyan 18:39 04 Sep 10

Some years ago I was involved in an attempt to help RAF to recover the bodies thought to still be in a plane that crashed during the war on the island of Soay. The logistics, in the absence of a helicopter, that was ruled out on cost grounds.It is a made it a near impossible task. The landing could be very hairy and the weather is such that one would need to take a month of rations. Not sure if they are still there.

morddwyd 19:52 04 Sep 10

The "flying pencil".

There'll be a lot more where that came from.

If the plane can be recovered, so can the remains, and they'll receive full military hours as normal.

WhiteTruckMan 20:35 04 Sep 10

do they still remain the property of the country of origin? I remember an american bomber (maybe more than one) of ww2 vintage that crashed in the desert in libya. Alledgedly it was still sitting in a hanger having been hauled in from the desert. Gadaffi refusing to hand it over despite repeated american requests. I have no idea if fatalities were involved though.

WTM

morddwyd 09:06 05 Sep 10

Hardware certainly doesn't remain the property of the country of origin, captured stuff remains captured, and there are some very interesting German missiles at Cosford which I'm sure they'd love to have back.

Normal standards of civilised behaviour apply to human remains, though Gaddafi is not great when it comes to normal standards of civilised behaviour, notwithstanding his new persona as great humanitarian and friend of the West!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…