Warchalking

spikeychris 10:52 28 Jul 04

When did you last see a warchalk?

sidecar sid 11:48 28 Jul 04

How about war kayaking,might need some special chalk :-)

click here

spuds 12:30 28 Jul 04

Wonder what you were talking about, then did a google search click here click here

Now I know, never here much about this lately, so I was confused [as usual] :o)

Chegs ® 14:51 15 Aug 04

Q)How does one tell the difference between a "warchalk" and just simple graffiti?

A)The number of laptop users in the vicinity.

Valvegrid 15:12 15 Aug 04

I would have thought they've plugged all those loopholes, I must be wrong if it still goes on.

spikeychris 16:30 15 Aug 04

Valvegrid, war-driving still goes on and if your WIFI router is broadcasting its SSID then someone in a car across the road will know you have a WIFI network. I travel around a lot and the amount of networks my laptop picks up (including local council ones) is amazing. They are using WEP encryption but lots of people don't. They also don't change the admin name for the router either.

Valvegrid 16:49 15 Aug 04

I'm amazed!

Forum Editor 23:18 15 Aug 04

through the City of London, or the West end come to that, and id you know what to look for you'll see warchalks.

As for war driving - I can think of better ways of spending time, but it does still go on. I doubt that there's anything like the amount of it that some people would have you believe, but they're out there.

powerless 00:47 16 Aug 04
  recap 15:01 20 Aug 04

Following Cardiff Council, which last May became the first city council in the UK to offer its residents free wireless internet hotspots,
Preston City Council last week announced it has installed wireless networks across its centre in a bid to broaden computer access to
residents.

Initially, the council approached the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan - click here), which had already set up a wireless network over its two campuses at Lancashire and Cumbria.

(The above extracted from an E-Government article I receive).

Could this mean that in the future residents will only need a receiver to pick up the Internet and not have to sign up to an ISP?

recap 15:04 20 Aug 04

Should have included the following:

Preston residents must pay an annual connection fee of 60 pounds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…