Voyager 1 has left the solar system

Forum Editor 00:02 13 Sep 13

The first man-made object to leave the solar system and enter deep space between the stars, Voyager 1 is an absolute triumph of 1970s technology

It's astonishing to think that this small object is still transmitting data after 40 years of travel, and that it is likely to go on doing so for another decade. It's even more astonishing that it will orbit the centre of our galaxy for billions of years - long after mankind and the planet which created it have long gone.

mole1944 04:46 13 Sep 13

True FE the mind truly boggles at what Voyager has done.

Quickbeam 08:04 13 Sep 13

Doesn't it reappear in a couple of centuries as Veeger to consume our solar system, or have I watched too much sci-fi...?

BT 08:06 13 Sep 13

"It's even more astonishing that it will orbit the centre of our galaxy for billions of years "

Unless Someone/Something finds it, or it gets destroyed by a stray bit of rock of course.

Quickbeam 08:36 13 Sep 13

"Voyager-1 will not approach another star for nearly 40,000 years, even though it is moving at 45km/s (100,000mph)."

That perfectly demonstrates the loneliness of our solar system.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:58 13 Sep 13

That's some battery Yoyager 1 is carrying to last 50 yrs, can I have one for my laptop please? Perhaps a plutonium power source can run my new car?

And to receive a signal from a 20w radio from over 17 light hours away is tremendous.

Its going to be lonely out there, the odd comet or two. The chances of it running across a stray rock (or alien craft) in all the space is remote.

I don't think we will have to worry about a Veeger, anyway Kirk and Spock will save the day if it does. :0)

wee eddie 10:19 13 Sep 13

As space is infinite, it will return!

spuds 10:27 13 Sep 13

Here we are talking about 1970's technology, that's still surprising mankind.

Yet some of us are still having problems with more recent technology, and whether it will stand the time of life (tomorrow or next week, that is) :O)

Diemmess 10:35 13 Sep 13

I can relate to 40 odd years and remember bits of my life that long ago.

The other figures are too huge for my understanding, I can only sit back and gape.

lotvic 11:12 13 Sep 13

When I read all of the part beginning "The Sun sits in an extensive bubble of hot gas called the heliosphere" it made me feel very small, fragile and insignificant.

bumpkin 11:32 13 Sep 13

An interesting article. Do we know what happened to Voyager 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac