VOIP "The next big thing" ?

Maverick81 11:07 23 May 05

I saw a interesting program at the weekend talking about VOIP and how it has the traditional telco's worried sick about loss of revenue.

I have skype and teamspeak recently and I have to say I am quite impressed with both pieces of software but they are limited use really and still cant match a bog standard phone for ease of use.

So will voip be the next big thing ?? and will it really change the way we all comunicate ?

Mav

DieSse 18:34 23 May 05

So will voip be the next big thing

Yup - no doubt about it. In a few years we will all have broadband, a VoIP telephone(s) (a proper one, not just a skype-type computer only system) - a telephone number that follows our phones rather than our homes - VoIP to mobiles - and all at call rates that are either free or miniscule cost.

You can be an early adoptor and do most of it right now - but if you, IMHO you should choose open standard equipment, not proprietary formats like skype.

DieSse 18:35 23 May 05

See some of the facilties here click here

Buchan 35 20:23 23 May 05

You`re both on the right track where advancement is concerned, but I suggest you let the blinkers fall away from your eyes. What I`m going to suggest will not happen in my lifetime, but hopefully yours.
Imagine a computerised lifestyle. Arrive home from work, talk to your secure front door, it opens and you enter and talk to your room or wherever you are and order up a meal, say you will have a 20 minutes nap first then a shower, all of which are organised for you. After you`ve eaten you may select some reality TV (not big brother) or indeed any thought that enters your head. EG `I want to talk to ......`
and it happens. You notice that your outdoor shoes are still on , no problem, have them removed along with anything else you`d like removed etc. etc. I`ll have to stop this here, but remember, you saw it here first, not in the Sun.

Buchan 35 22:41 23 May 05

Forgot to mention, that by the time you`ve done this about 50 times you`re about 25 stone weight through total idleness, and that, I believe, is where we are heading

DieSse 21:48 24 May 05

up

surely a bit more comment than this?

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:41 24 May 05

"and all at call rates that are either free or miniscule cost" - a nice thought, but you think the telephone companies are just going to sit back and lose money - think again. They own the lines on which the web operates. If they risk losing income through VOIP they will find a way to compensate. Probably through higher costs to the ISP's who in turn will pass it on to the end user. In the long term the phrase "theres no such thing as a free lunch" spring to mind.

DieSse 23:19 24 May 05

"If they risk losing income through VOIP they will find a way to compensate"

Yes - they will introduce their own services.

"but you think the telephone companies are just going to sit back and lose money - think again"

You've missed the point - it's coming - it'll be change or die for telecoms - they'll change. BT are investing pots of dosh into multi-purpose high speed communications.

The future is flat rate - TV/Voice/data - all for a fixed monthly fee.

Sir Radfordin 23:22 24 May 05

It is likely to be something significant, but there still seems to be a long way to go. I doubt it will really catch on until IPv6 is implemented and people can start to give an IP address to the things that need one.

I've been in two companies over the last 12 months that have put in new phone systems. Both opted to put in systems that would be able to handle VOIP but neither is going to use it initially. There are still significant costs especially if you want to have resilience which is essential for so many businesses.

"IMHO you should choose open standard equipment, not proprietary formats like skype."

What exactly do you mean by that? I use Skype sometimes and would be interested if there are better alternatives out there.

Are you recommending click here this over Skype? If so, why?

Thanks, Dave

Arthur Scrimshaw 23:52 24 May 05

"You've missed the point" - sorry - what point was that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…