Vista new packaging...

Simsy 12:35 01 Nov 06

I notice from a news story on this site that microsoft say about the new, plastic,packaging for Vista;

"The new packaging is designed to protect the software inside for life-long use."

Well that's good... bearing in mind that it can't be transferred to another PC more than once, that reduces it's life anyway!

And in the current climate, how good is it to be using un-biodegradeable plastic, instead of cardboard. I, obviously, haven't studied the ecologcal ramifications of this, but I suspect MS haven't either, or that would feature somewhere in the blurb.

Regards,

Simsy

Kate B 12:46 01 Nov 06

I've just posted on the "magazine is boring" thread that I don't think this is a news story. It's lame reproduction of a Microsoft press release. I'm all for covering news properly, of course, but that's lame.

RickyC :-) 12:54 01 Nov 06

I'm not sure that it is a press release, Kate. It was almost certainly picked up on from Nick White's Vista Team blog.

I appreciate that the blog from Nick is just another method of getting information out to the press (and others), but I don't recall actually receiving a press release on their new Vista packaging.

yours pedantically

Richard :-)

Kate B 12:56 01 Nov 06

Still, it's not exactly the height of analysis or scoop-getting, is it? ;)

Simsy 12:57 01 Nov 06

But would the headline, "Microsoft shrug off climate change concerns" be better?

I agree that new packaging is, of itself, very lame as a news story.

It's the fact that it's plastic not cardboard that's, perhaps, "interesting". Certainly I'm not sure that they should be claiming "bragging rights" to something that's more environmentally unfreindly than before!

Regards,

Simsy

Kate B 13:02 01 Nov 06

I'm of the opinion that our job as journalists is to put the news in context, to explain why it's important, why we're devoting time to writing about something, why we feel the audience should know about this. It's not even of note that MS is using plastic - most packaging of software these days is plastic. If you apply the criteria of my first sentence to the lead on the home page, it fails dismally: it's not important, it's not significant, it's not worth anyone's time to write about. Sorry to carp; I think much of the magazine and the website is good, but that's not. If I were news editing I'd have spiked the story.

I'll shut up now, unless anyone wants to talk more generally about news values and the decisions news editors make.

rodriguez 13:08 01 Nov 06

I remember the days when software came in a big cardboard box where the top lifted off and there was a little CD inside that was obviously too small for the box it was in....however the manual used to take up most of this space. :-P

hijo 13:12 01 Nov 06

so if the VISTA is only to be used on one pc per license then what happens if your hard drive dies or you buy another pc..? is it like this xp where u just re-register it on any one pc...?

Totally-braindead 15:24 01 Nov 06

hijo you are meant to lock the Vista to one piece of hardware and you are only allowed to change that hardware once. After that you have to buy a new copy.
You cannot reregister it.
The FE commented to me in another thread "I'll be very surprised indeed if you're unable to install Vista more than twice. What's said before the launch of an operating system, and what actually happens in practice isn't always the same thing."
I can only hope that he is correct and that Microsoft allow some leeway on this. Only time will tell I suppose.

anskyber 16:41 01 Nov 06

Your right on the newsworthiness of a packaging story, to be honest I was so busy watching a plank warp I did not have time to read it. In fact I'm off to look at some paint drying right now which I find in comparison rather exciting.

Bring out the hankies, I was actually beginning to feel a little sorry for our PCA squad who seem to be under attack from various threads at the moment. I suppose they'll live.

Tugwilson 16:58 01 Nov 06

"Watching a plank warp" I love it--lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5