Vista Creates News Jobs?

facepaint 22:16 12 Dec 06

Vista creates 30,000 new jobs and will benefit the UK economy is the latest official mantra from MS HQ.

Wonderful news?But surely not just by the adoption of a new computer operating systems.
The best models in modern business is to cut manpower unless it is directly related to actually producing and selling more raw materials or products.

While'st MS is about to release Vista it is also releasing Office 2007 and Exchange Server 2007.
Now unlike previous versions ,Exchange 2007 users will require a licence for each instance of the Exchange software.Plus a licence is also required to access each user mailbox hosted on Exchange,regardless of how it is accessed.

Therefore,is this the area where many of the new jobs will be created? MS tax collection!

Forum Editor 22:51 12 Dec 06

is that Vista has been adopted by the London Borough of Newham, which already reports a 25% reduction in e-mail because of the greater use of instant messaging allowed by the release of Vista to business users. Through mobile working, home working and flexible working, Newham Council believes it can achieve 30% reduction in the number of office desks it requires.

Whether or not Vista creates 30,000 UK jobs or 10,000 remains to be seen, but it will certainly create some. I know from the experience we had in my own business when Windows XP launched that we'll face a big increase in the number of consultancy enquiries we receive from clients. They'll be wanting to hear all about Vista, whether it's right for them, when they should consider migrating, etc., and the same will happen with Office 2007.

Vista will certainly impact European economies, and as there'll be 150,000 EU companies producing, selling or servicing Vista-related products that impact could be considerable.

That's all speculation however, and the real situation remains to be seen. There's a very great deal riding on Vista's back as far as Microsoft is concerned, and the company's gone to great lengths to ensure success - Vista is the most heavily beta-tested software release in history, and development costs are rumoured to have been in the region of $5 billion. That's a lot of money in anyone's language, and no company can afford to contemplate failure when faced with that kind of expenditure.

I think Vista will sell itself, and that's the perfect scenario as far as a marketing department is concerned. Office 2007 might have a steeper slope to climb, it's good but it's just different enough from previous versions to make corporate users pause for thought. I'm sure it will prove a success eventually, but it may take a little while to get there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced