vista beta threatens collapse of the internet

sunny staines 18:41 13 Jun 06

click here

must be popular or is it hype from microsoft.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:21 13 Jun 06

*cough* hype *cough*

SG Atlantis® 22:40 13 Jun 06

Totally-braindead 22:49 13 Jun 06

Never heard such a load of total rubbish in my life.

Forum Editor 23:55 13 Jun 06

Not every such story is 'total rubbish'.

I hereby predict that Microsoft will stop the Vista beta download at any moment. The company has been shaken by the sheer volume of demand for the software.

wolfie3000 00:04 14 Jun 06

heres a prediction from me

Expect to see people selling dodgy copies of vista in markets, online and such other places.

why didnt microsoft do the download as p2p as this would have solved the not being able to download it issue?

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:48 14 Jun 06

MS may be overwhelme but that is a tad different from the 'whole of t'internet ' collapsing.

Forum Editor 18:43 14 Jun 06

was one of bandwidth. The Vista download is/was big - around 3.5 to 4.5 GB.

Get a couple of million or so people downloading simultaneously and you have a very serious bandwidth requirement. If a million of those people are in Europe their download comes via a fibre-optic transatlantic cable. The cable is big, and can handle a lot of bandwidth, but there are limits. Take normal peak-time loads and then try to superimpose an extra few million GB and something's going to give.

Microsoft knew that, which is why they are quoted as saying:

"We are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any further there is a possibility of taking down the internet. People might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc."

Microsoft insisted that it had anticipated the demand, but that downloads had reached the threshold of what the internet can bear.

I spoke to a Microsoft contact, and she confirmed the story.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…