Virgins 50 meg broadband

Mary_S 22:22 04 Jan 09

Virgin have started advertising their 50 mbps broadband which has become available in some parts of the country. This may appear as a good step for UK broadband however I am not too keen on it. Im on Virgins 10 meg connection and for most evenings i get speeds of around 6 megs, and on some nights (liek tonight) getting speeds of around 2-3 megs. They tell me they are working on improving the infrastucture in my area (east london) but its been 2 months and still have the same problem. My point is, why are they releasing 50 megs broadband when their current infrastructure cannot support the speeds they have on offer. I know that their are alot of people in various parts of the country, who do not get the speeds they should be. Surely, they should concentrate on perfecting their current system before introducing these mega speeds

What are your views?

cycoze 22:28 04 Jan 09

I agree with you, i would prefer a stable and uniform connection over one that might give a fast speed if all the conditions are right.

Mary_S 22:36 04 Jan 09

Hey,
They are releasing 50 meg broadband just so they can claim to be the true superpower in broadband, however for those who are with Virgin know the inconsistency in their speeds. Good to hear BT have started working on fibre broadband for 2010 i believe. Virgin needs competition like this , to tighten the performance of their broadband.

WhiteTruckMan 23:29 04 Jan 09

(with virgin) is up and down more times than a brides nightie! Some nights I'm barely making dial up speeds. I've been with the same provider (ex-ntl) for a long time now, and although I am only on a 1 meg connection, and probably paying too much for it as well I just havent had the time to go looking for a better deal, especially after hearing horror stories about the hassles of switching provider, getting mac codes etc. However, if they cant even maintain a basic 1 meg then it might be time to move on.

But back to the original topic, I wonder if this 50 meg package comes with download limits?

WTM

Si_L 01:13 05 Jan 09

"I wonder if this 50 meg package comes with download limits?"

No DL limits, but there is a Fair Use Policy.

wiz-king 05:50 05 Jan 09

If you are on cable then I would get them to check the modem. I had a problem with varying slow speeds, new modem and I am now getting a consistent 9.9mb.

Pesala 07:06 05 Jan 09

All seems to be fine here

1st 128K took 531 ms = 246840 Bytes/sec = approx 2054 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 547 ms = 239620 Bytes/sec = approx 1994 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 562 ms = 233224 Bytes/sec = approx 1940 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 360 ms = 364089 Bytes/sec = approx 3029 kbits/sec

Speed Test: click here

WhiteTruckMan 08:59 05 Jan 09

so there IS a download limit then.

WTM

pcmags 10:05 05 Jan 09

For my local exchange Virgin say you can get up to 8MB.
BT say the exchange is capped up to 4MB.

dagnammit 11:00 05 Jan 09

No, it's a fair use policy.

They reduce the speed of your downloads during peak hours if you're an excessive downloader.

I'm happy with my service on the 20meg... it'll only cost me a tenner to go up to the 50 when it's available in my area, and I'll be signing up as soon as.

WhiteTruckMan 11:15 05 Jan 09

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck then by golly, I'm going to call it a duck.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…