Virgin Media Watching You??

Mark5001 22:57 09 Jun 08

Seems it may be getting harder, for those who do it, to download " Illegal " files.

click here

belfman 00:34 10 Jun 08

Virgin will start haemorrhaging customers if the others (ISPs) don't follow suit.

Quickbeam 07:25 10 Jun 08

Seems to make sense as there is also Virgin records that lose out to illegal downloaders.

interzone55 09:14 10 Jun 08

Virgin records is a different company with different owners.

Virgin Media own the cable TV, phone, mobile phone & broadband business. This company is the old NTL / Nynex business, Richard Branson only has a very small stake in this company.

Virgin Records belongs to EMI.

JYPX 11:30 10 Jun 08

Perhaps Virgin are just making the right noises
without a great deal of intention. They have lots of customers paying up to £37 per month for 20 meg broadband. Does anyone seriously think that all those people have signed up to a premium service just to speed up browsing?

martd77 11:59 11 Jun 08

jypx
thats a point i made a while ago, who in their right mind would want a connection above 2mb if they are not downloading huge files,if the isps really are clamping down then there is little point in advertising 10,20 and even 50mb broadband just to browse
Im on virgin 10mb only because we were upgraded foc from 4mb,10mb will be their lowest connection speed when all the customers are upgraded we were told.

Quickbeam 12:37 11 Jun 08

Doesn't Branson have a share interest in both companies, or did he sell completely out of Virgin records?

Mark5001 16:25 11 Jun 08

I signed up when it was very low speeds. Got the 20 meg connection just to show off to mates I suppose. However I have just downgraded today as I only use the net for windows updates, news and this forum. Just wasting money I could channel to other things. I have downloaded music in the past, on P2P ,I must admit. But I now only buy the CD's. How though do they find the difference between music or films as opposed to game demo's or updates? It is all only data after all.

interzone55 17:33 11 Jun 08

He sold Virgin records completely, and he only has a tiny interest in Virgin Media.

I did have a thought after posting that he may still own part of V2 records, which he founded after selling Virgin.

I kind of got lost in the trail of sales, but I think he still has a 5% stake...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac