Virgin Media customers - what have you done?

tammer 19:42 01 Mar 07

Sorry if this has been done to death elsewhere but I wondered what action people have taken now that Sky One (and other channels) have disappeared from cable TV.

Specifically:

-Have you cancelled your cable TV (and other Virgin services)?

-If so, were you able to get out of a promotional period like a 12 month contract?

-Did they offer you a financial incentive to stay?

Personally I'm giving them 2 months then I'm binning them and I'm certainly not going to Sky.

Kate B 19:44 01 Mar 07

If you go to Sky you're validating the bullying tactics Murdoch is pulling on Branson.

De Marcus™ 19:54 01 Mar 07

Does the loss of sky invalidate your contract? Or will you be paying the cancellation fee if they don't resolve the issue in your time frame?

Kate B 20:00 01 Mar 07

Interesting thought but there's bound to be something in your cable contract that says they can change anything at any time.

big bloke66 20:19 01 Mar 07

Personally i couldn`t give two hoots about Sky 1 etc. I have been with Telewest/Virgin media for 2 and a half years now, and i have never had cause for complaint.
Its hardly the end of the world!
Ps... Im always on this forum anyway...
bb66

jack 20:25 01 Mar 07

Kate B Said
Interesting thought but there's bound to be something in your cable contract that says they can change anything at any time.
Tammer said
Personally I'm giving them 2 months then I'm binning them and I'm certainly not going to Sky.
------------------------o0o-------------------------
A cable contract usually bundles phone/broadband in addition to TV
So might not those that are miffed about his issue at risk of cutting off their noses to spite the face?
Sky is no great loss
Murdoch Industries will be the losers because of the reduction of their viewer base - the selling point for advertising revenue.

brundle 20:27 01 Mar 07

I've been with Telewest for about 4 years, only took up digital TV a few months back as a £1 upgrade so I'm not that fussed. The BB service from Telewest has got more and more reliable since I signed up. The spat is unfortunate and I will miss the current series of `24` more than I expected to even having started watching a few episodes in, but there are more important things in life.

tammer 20:31 01 Mar 07

From my viewpoint, I love the series "24" and now I can't see it - from a fifth of the way into series 6.

Sky News is, in my opinion, the finest news channel in the world (although the BBC runs them close).

So if those are 2 of the channels I watch the most, it's hard for me to justify the monthly cost because of a landline I rarely use and broadband I can get from a number of suppliers.

I've been with them for so long I'll be struggling to find my contract but I think I'm only tied in to a BB deal.

I'm interested in what others are doing as I suspect this could cripple Virgin Media.

Keep them coming though folks.

007al 20:52 01 Mar 07

When i had an analogue box(3 or 4 yrs ago now),channels started vanishing.When i called NTl i was told that i had to switch to digital to view the same channels again.It was a way of getting people to move to digital.They said back then that they could add or remove a channel without notifying the customer.The channels that were missing were SKY channels funny enough.

Gosford 21:27 01 Mar 07

I am staying with Virgin, partly because I don't like the attempt to bully cable veiwers into changing to sky, and also because the only thing I watch on Sky 1 is Lost which I will be able to buy on DVD before too long.

polish 22:15 01 Mar 07

i will stay for now not to big a loss but will see how it goes.
i do wonder wether there will be some common sense from sky once they realise how much money they will be losing from virgin and the advertising revenue iam sure advertisers wont be to happy about the audience they will lose

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…