VHS Copy Protection?

GRFT 07:44 22 Jul 05

In the process of copying my VHS tapes to DVD everything was going fine until one tape refused to co-operate - "NO REC" said the Panasonic DVD Recorder (no PC involved.)
Has anyone come across this before? The tape in question is a Walt Disney classic.

watchful 08:07 22 Jul 05

They are protected as the little plastic thing has been removed on bought videos.

With blank videos that you use to tape things, you can remove that piece of plastic if you want the tape to be secure and you can cover this opening with sellotape if you want to re-use.

However, I, personally would not make a copy of a bought one so haven't tried the sellotape method on one of those.

GRFT 08:41 22 Jul 05

Thanks, but the write protect is usually enabled (tab removed) on all bought tapes (they also auto-play.) The ones I have copy OK apart from that mentioned.

De Marcus 08:57 22 Jul 05

Could it be macrovision?

GRFT 15:09 22 Jul 05

De Marcus, you're absolutely right! It's all explained on the Macrovision website, with particular reference to Walt Disney.
Thank you very much.

€dstowe 17:15 22 Jul 05

If your DVD recorder has an RF input (aerial) then use the RF output from your VCR to the RF input on the DVD recorder.

RF cannot see Macrovision.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 17:43 22 Jul 05

just a quick ? save opening another posting sorry GRFT in not trying to hijack your posting .
is the macrovision thingy on the tape or the vhs/dvd recorder and is it possible to turn it of.
€dstowe never thought of trying it that way must give it a go losts of vhs tapes have that cannoct copy maybe now I can through the home DVD recorder

GRFT 09:46 23 Jul 05

It's on the tape click here

GRFT 09:57 23 Jul 05

€dstowe, according to click here that method doesn't work.

€dstowe 11:55 23 Jul 05

I think the best thing is to try it.

octal 14:02 23 Jul 05

Its very easy to get around the protection if you know how, I won't tell how because I would be breaking site policy, but I can tell how it works. On an analog TV signal there is a lot of redundancy in the signal between the Chroma and colour signal pulses, normally this redundancy is used for encoding Teletext data on terrestrial television.

On analog tapes they use this redundancy by placing a large pulse which is greater than the video burst, this is not normally seen on the viewing VCR but when trying to record on another VCR the large pulse turns the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) down to a level where the picture cannot be seen till the AGC recovers, when its recovered it detects another pulse which cuts the signal down again, that's why the picture keeps going light and dark when you try and view the recorded tape.

You can make up your own mind how to get around the protection, suffice to say you need to be an electronics engineer with the schematics of the VCR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…