The very end of the floppy

Curio 14:09 21 Feb 05

I see Dell's latest Dimension 5000 PC no longer has a Floppy disk drive. It has been replaced by a memory card reader. No doubt other makers are doing the same and those of us who have loads of floppies holding compressed files will have to hang on to our older PC on replacement, or invest in an external floppy drive. That also could disappear shortly. Personally I like the floppy and will be sad to see it go for good. My Smart Media Flash Path diskette will also become redundant. That's progress!!

LastChip 14:38 21 Feb 05

I have a feeling the floppy will be around for sometime yet.

Although it would be nonsense to say it's suitable for loading modern programs, it still has its uses and many people in business will still insist on a floppy drive as part of the specification.

CurlyWhirly 15:02 21 Feb 05

The only use I can think of now, is for BIOS updates!

Chaz10 17:19 21 Feb 05

I use it when windows asks you for the SATA driver disk on a fresh reload, how do you get drivers on without one?

Legolas 18:12 21 Feb 05

You are absoulutely right my mate has just had a problem putting raid drivers on because windows in there wisdom does not give the option to load the drivers from any other source but the floppy drive. I to am a fan of the floppy.

Belatucadrus 18:13 21 Feb 05

The floppy remains a good semi disposable way of transporting info from A to B if you don't want to e-mail it. Not so hot for stuff with a high image content, but you can still get a fair few Word or Excel files on one.

wiz-king 18:21 21 Feb 05

On one of my older pc's IBMs version of windows called OS2 warp and thats on flopies along with the Lotus Smart Suite office programs 44 flopies I think - but never had to use them.

sattman 18:44 21 Feb 05

Ahh memories of loading in 43 floppies, then to have the last one fail to read.

Dan the Confused 19:23 21 Feb 05

I'm also a fan of the humble old floppy. It's an extremely quick and easy way of transferring small amounts of data and I'll be sorry to see it phased out entirely, which is just a matter of time. As said, many businesses still use them since often they use old PCs (there is no need to upgrade) so it will be a while before they completely disappear.

josie mayhem 19:23 21 Feb 05

If I'm right, xp loads usb ports on boot, so a work around, is to get a usb external floppy drive for a lap top, and use that. I have and laptop usb floppy drive on one of my desktop computers, while I get around to replacing the doggy drive.

LastChip 19:50 21 Feb 05

you are assuming an up to date machine, where the operating system (XP) and more importantly, the motherboard BIOS is capable of a USB boot.

Many businesses are still using the equivalent in technology terms, of antiques. There is no way you could run from USB.

Remember, the only two words in modern British business that will be listened to, is "cut costs" and if Windows 95 or 3.11 or even DOS in some cases will do the job, there will be no money for replacements. Trust me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced