VCR RIP

spikeychris 21:27 25 Nov 04
  LastChip 22:17 25 Nov 04

I seem to remember, they tried that tactic with the mini-disc and it failed to take off.

Whilst I would accept, there is less chance of that with the DVD recorder, there are still families with whole libraries of pre-recorded Video's.

What are they saying; scrap them?

In my view, for the foreseeable future, there is room for both.

CurlyWhirly 22:54 25 Nov 04

I can understand that some people want them to continue as they have large collections of video tapes but what I don't like is that over the course of a number of years the sound and picture quality degrade a lot.

As an example I bought some Star Wars videos around 8 or 9 years ago and when I played them the picture is all grainy and the sound is faded.
I have since bought them on DVD as this is the future of home entertainment!

TECHNODIMWIT 23:16 25 Nov 04

nearly 30 years of pleasurable sevice, the odd missed `corry` or `Eastenders`, due to incompetance. But how many technologies last that long in this day and age.
thanks for the experience, lets see how long the next generation last`s.

1911 23:49 25 Nov 04

I am a wee bit suspicous of the timing of this announcment. I think its a ploy to get us to buy the much more expensive equipment. Its only one part of a very large organisation which made this announcement

ton 02:15 26 Nov 04

I think they will be around for a while yet.

georgemac 09:29 26 Nov 04

video will survive for a long time yet, but for me a dvd recorder is the way forward.

I have a large collection of home video, and when I take the plunge I will transfer all these to dvd (hopefully!)

I am a cynic and also think the timing is deliberate to try and sell dvd recorders for xmas - the prices are still quite high and will probably fall rapidly over the next year or two.

I have been eyeing the panasonic dmre55, which was in costco last month for £200, this month £175 and I was sorely tempted, but will still hang on until after the new year when I will have more time to do the transfers.

Was in argos yesterday, the liteon 5005 dvd recorder is reduced to £120, an excellent buy but the only thing that puts me off is it does not take dvd ram, which would be better for recording tv programmes as it has more room than dvd-rw

Sir Radfordin 10:00 26 Nov 04

I have a feeling that VCR/DVD will follow a similar path to Tape/CD/MD/MP3. There will be some people that buy DVD recorders but I wouldn't be surprised to see them never become a mass market product but instead be missed by people who moved from VCR direc to to hard-drive based systems. If people move towards a more integrated approach you would be able to save direct to hard drive and transfer via these fast internet connections we are all supposed to be someday getting should oyu need to.

Sticking my neck out I don't think DVD recorders will catch on. I know I'll be proved wrong but someone has to make this observation!

Forum Editor 10:12 26 Nov 04

Don't be too quick to doubt your own assessment - you might not be proved wrong. The key to all this is file storage, and the confidence with which the average person views a hard drive as a viable medium. At the moment my guess is that the DVD has a lot going for it - people want the feeling of security that comes from seeing their file on something they can pick up and take to a friend, or send through the post. Hard drives are OK, but you can hardly take one along with you to a party, or post it off to your mate in Australia.

For now my money's on the DVD writer for convenience.

georgemac 10:17 26 Nov 04

I agree these will become the norm eventually (hard drive dvd recorders) but not until there are considerable price reductions - take a dvd recorder today - add a hard drive to it (which for a pc would cost around £60) and you can add at least £200 to the price - this will be the stumbling block

I can understand portable hard drives for mp3 players being expensive but not a standard hard drive for a dvd recorder

Peverelli 11:37 26 Nov 04

VCR will be around for a while yet. Although CDs have been with us for 15-20 years, vinyl sales (singles and LPs) are still healthy enough to make production viable, which in turn means turntables are still being manufactured and sold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…