VAT Increase - High Street Scam imminent

Covergirl 11:01 02 Dec 10
Answered

Roused by Jacks thread on the forthcoming 2.5% VAT increase, I thought it would be interesting to observe the following.

If we all note down some prices in the high street shops before the VAT increase hits us, then wait until Jan 4th and see which retailers put up the obligatory "No VAT Increase" posters (which some will invariably do), then compare your noted prices to the post 4th Jan prices and see who is trying to con us.

Select your own area of interest for this experiment.

Unfortunately, it's a difficult time of year with all the sales going on, which may make any price comparisons diffucult, but do your best chaps.

wee eddie 12:45 02 Dec 10
Answer

The main reason that this country is more expensive, than some of our neighbours, is that we will buy the goods, almost regardless of price, rather than refuse to buy them

BT 16:53 02 Dec 10

Also just see how many add 2.5% to the present inclusive price not just to the VAT. Its happened before!!

interzone55 17:23 02 Dec 10

That will be really hard to monitor as 4th Jan is also slap bang in the middle of the sales...

Cymro. 17:30 02 Dec 10

So what do you mean then by "do your best chaps"?
We will have no sexism on this Forum and anyway I have always left the shopping to the wife.

Toneman 18:24 02 Dec 10

Even letting her buy your PC?

spuds 19:13 02 Dec 10

This might be a double or treble incentive for some retailers, and I think we all know who will pay for it in the end.

I note in todays media that the OFT is conducting some investigations (again) on misleading advertising.

morddwyd 19:52 02 Dec 10

!The main reason that this country is more expensive, than some of our neighbours, is that we will buy the goods, almost regardless of price, rather than refuse to buy them"

One of the reasons business is so keen to avoid the Euro is that it would make it easier for the British to see how they are being ripped off.

Even before the Euro was adopted on the mainland I could buy a CD in Germany for 16 Marks.

I could buy the same CD in the UK for £16.

The only thing was, the pound was worth 4 Marks!

(And don't give me the usual rubbish about hanging on to the good old pound. We were using marks long before Germany ever became a single country, Richard the Lionheart's ransom was paid in marks, British marks!)

Dragon_Heart 20:39 02 Dec 10

You buy outside the UK and you get tax'd plus the trade gap goes up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…