Using your free travel bus pass?.

spuds 18:18 PM 27 Jun 13

Perhaps a topic to discuss?

As any forum member who is in possession of a government and local council funded free bus pass, used that pass for travel elsewhere in the UK than their own city/county area?.

If so, or it applies to someone you know, what was the experiences. Did you or they find the experiences confusing or rather enjoyable?.

The thing that springs to my mind is the transport system within and the surrounding areas of say London, with both bus and tube facilities for travel.

Arriva have a good website , but I don't seem to be able to find the full information that I am seeking, as to the acceptance of free bus passes on some journeys and routes, especially in the capital city?.

Woolwell 18:22 PM 27 Jun 13

I don't think that the free travel passes work in London if you live elsewhere see Transport for London Tickets

Woolwell 18:25 PM 27 Jun 13

I may be wrong about above.

morddwyd 19:14 PM 27 Jun 13

In Scotland they can be used nationwide, plus some cross border journeys.

I believe thee are also some rail concessions.

Forum Editor 19:26 PM 27 Jun 13

The national free bus pass scheme applies to people over the age of 60, and entitles you to travel on any bus in England during off-peak times only.

The London Freedom pass is different. You can only get one if your main place of residence is in London. People born on or after 6 October 1954 will have to wait until they are 66 years old to be eligible for a Freedom Pass.

It entitles you to travel on all London Transport buses and trains at any time, on most local rail services, and on local buses anywhere in England between 9:30am and 11:00pm Monday to Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays. Up to 4 accompanying children aged under 11 may travel for free with a Freedom Pass holder on all Buses, trams Tube, The Docklands Light Railway, and between stations on the orange routes on National Rail/London Overground services. The pass is funded jointly by the London Boroughs, and by the Mayor of London's office.

Algerian peter ™ 19:44 PM 27 Jun 13

The national free bus pass scheme applies to people over the age of 60, and entitles you to travel on any bus in England during off-peak times only.

You now have to be over the age of 61 to be eligible for a free pass and that age restriction will rise over the next few years. The same dates will apply to winter fuel allowance, if they don't scrap it. Qualifing age for national concessions

Aitchbee 20:14 PM 27 Jun 13

I qualified for [and recieved] my National Entitlement Card about a month ago. ['cos of a degenerative condition of my knee].

Although it says I can travel for free 'Scotland-wide' I am not sure if I could travel [for free on the bus from Glasgow to Aberdeen, for example], as it is outside the Area of Strathclyde Concessionary Travel Scheme.

Strathclyde Concessionary Travel Scheme Map

... and would I be able to travel about locally for free [on the buses] in Oban, I wonder?

Aitchbee 20:18 PM 27 Jun 13

Let's try that map [link], once again.

Aitchbee 20:28 PM 27 Jun 13

Sorry folks, please click on Strathclyde Region in first link, to reveal the map.

chub_tor 21:59 PM 27 Jun 13

Our bus passes are issued by Devon County Council, but my wife and I have used them all over the country including Durham, Chelmsford, Norwich, Bristol and Oxford. We tend to head for the Park and Ride centres and catch a free bus into the centre of town. So far the only place we have not been able to do this is Dartmouth, the bus was free but the parking was outrageous for a short stay.

spuds 00:08 AM 28 Jun 13

I have been watching the new television programme on BBC 2 called The Route Masters, which so far is about London's transport systems. The other evening it was about bus travel, and how people travelled throughout the day and night. One part of the programme seemed to involve payments and how people used bus travel passes, but there seemed no mention as to 'free bus passes'. Perhaps this was due to late night reveller's being portrayed more in the programme?.

The other thing that surprised me about London bus transport, was how homeless people had a routine of using buses for a bit of warmth and a rest, usually between the centre of London to Heathrow and back in late evening, early morning, the long journeys seemed the most favoured.

When I lived and worked in various areas in London many years ago, bus transport was not available to the limits it now is with a 24/7 service. In the main tube travel was the better option for my colleagues and myself.

Which now brings me back to using a free bus pass elsewhere. Apparently it would take 2 days to travel from one end of England (North) to the other end of England (South), if a free bus pass was used and accepted. Parts of the journey would require other means because long distance travel is not permitted throughout, and for that it would require a over 60's annual card and then payment for the journey at a reduced or special offer price.

A number of years ago, I and others had the opportunity to speak to Gordon Brown about the free bus pass systems, and in the main it was accepted that the free bus pass funding would survive till 2017, after that who knows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know