Using your computer if you leave it permanently on

Rotenone 18:45 05 Jun 05

If you leave your computer permanently(or even if you don't) you can put it to good use by joining GIMPS(the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search).It is easy to join-just type GIMPS into your web brower(I use Google)and take it from there. There are several other "searches"(I quite like the look of "Seventeen or bust")that you can join if you don't fancy GIMPS-they are all free.If you are at all mathematically minded then the above may be of interest to you.
Rotenone

Forum Editor 19:21 05 Jun 05

I think you meant to say 'search engine' didn't you, Rotenone?

Anyhow,

click here if you're interested in this project. Personally I wouldn't want to use processor time on such a search, but each to his/her own, and as you say -"If you are at all mathematically minded then the above may be of interest to you".

Pooke 19:53 05 Jun 05

it's useful as a stress test tool aswell, I have it on my computer but only use it for stress testing.

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:04 05 Jun 05

Grid on my pc's click here - it's a worthwhile project and it really doesn't affect your pc (can run HL2 flat out with it in background - no probs) unlike many "background" tasks :-)

powerless 20:05 05 Jun 05

I'm currently [email protected] on my Mac...

Mr Mistoffelees 20:07 05 Jun 05

Did someone mention there was some drying paint to watch? :-)

Rotenone 21:08 05 Jun 05

Yes, I did mean "search engine".Forum Editor. Sorry for the error.

wky 21:16 05 Jun 05

wow, the prime number is pretty large. took me a few minutes to download that prime number lol.

p;3 21:30 05 Jun 05

"Did someone mention there was some drying paint to watch? :-)"

yup; its on that wall over there, and maybe more as well::)))

Pooke 23:36 05 Jun 05

Each to their own!

Start your own thread on paint drying watching!

Stop taking all the attention in here.

:p

Rotenone 23:46 05 Jun 05

Re Mr.M and p;3:-Exactly. Rotenone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…