A useless useful bit of information........

v1asco 10:10 28 Sep 07

Watching a property show the other day and picked up this little gem

All satellite dishes point eastwards.

A spot check around here seems to verify this.

It is obvious when thought about as I assume the sats are geostationery.

Anyone differ?

Its useful when house hunting if you have no compass and are seeking a south facing lawn.

jimv7 10:48 28 Sep 07

Not true east for me, mine points eastwards at 18.2 degrees.

Quickbeam 11:37 28 Sep 07

That's even more a useless piece of info than the original post:)

crosstrainer 11:57 28 Sep 07

Be different here in Wales....all the dishes in my close are pointing north!

PalaeoBill 12:47 28 Sep 07

Interesting... They should be pointing North East.

If it's a Sky Analogue dish, it should be pointing to 19.2 degrees (i.e. 19.2 degrees East of North). So NNE.
If it's a Sky Digital dish, it should be pointing 28.2 degrees East of North. So ENE.

spuds 12:47 28 Sep 07

Best to have a mobile dish, then there's aways something of possible interest which ever direction way you find suitable :O)

AI33 12:55 28 Sep 07

How strange. Our sky digital dish points SSW!!!

Confab 16:00 28 Sep 07

This says different
click here

1) Astra 1B, 1C, 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H, 2C (19.2 E)

This is one of the easiest satellite locations to find, since the Astra 1 satellites transmit some of the strongest signals across Europe. The front face of the dish needs to be more or less vertical to find the signals (19.2E means that the satellites are co-located 19.2 degrees east of south). To find south, use a compass, or if you dont have one available, it is useful to know that the sun is due south at midday GMT (UTC). If you are in the UK, look due south and imagine this is "12 o'clock".

AI33 16:04 28 Sep 07

The sun is full on to my dish at around 2 to 3Pm. Is that not SSW?

Could that be why my signal is erratic at times:))

v1asco 17:32 28 Sep 07

It will certainly be west of south.

As demonstrated by the responses, seems they can point anywhere!

I am a navigator by proffession,and although used to the electronic compass, when stuck I could always do this click here .

Confabs suggestion that the Sun is south at miday is adequate for this purpose, though 'Noon' is actually when the sun crosses the meridian, i.e. rises in the morning, seems to stop for a milli second, then starts falling. This will vary with longitude, for every 1 degree from Greenwich(0 degrees) it will be 4 minutes later. Lands End is 5.7 degrees west so the time of noon would be about 24 minutes later, which is why lighting up times and sunset times differ.
click here
Believe it or not we are still trained to use a sextant and calculate our latitude accordingly.

Still, I suppose I must remember my map reading compass in the future whilst house hunting.

mrwoowoo 18:05 28 Sep 07

"Its useful when house hunting if you have no compass and are seeking a south facing lawn."
Is it so very hard to just look at the sun in the sky?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017