use by dates

GRIDD 22:49 23 Jul 08

Just finished work and at the end of the night there was a free range chicken sitting with todays date....

I bought it for £2.30 (full price is £12 something) but I'm sceptical of using it tomorrow for dinner, will it be okay? Obviously if it smells funky I'll *!@: it.

Are you fussy about dates on food?

DrScott 22:51 23 Jul 08

and your nose is your best guide.

If the food looks and smells off, then it is.

I treat Use By Dates as guides only.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:03 23 Jul 08

I refer to sell by dates with casual/reckless abandon. Your nose is the best judge.

G

bluto1 23:21 23 Jul 08

It'll be OK mate, email me your address and I'll be around for a bite. :-))

bluto1 23:22 23 Jul 08

....finally got your name right.

josie mayhem 23:39 23 Jul 08

Use by dates = use product by that date

I really haave to disagree with DrScott, as having spent a whole year studing for a health and hygiene cert, and spending many years in the catering business....

I'm fully aware that if a piece of meat look fresh, doesn't smell off it could still conatian a very high amount of bacteria that can give you serious food poisoning....

My advice would be to cook the chicken tonight, cool qucikly into fridge then you've got 3 days to eat the freshly cooked meat....

birdface 23:40 23 Jul 08

I would cook it to-night.Ive had chicken that has been off and still got about 4 or 5 days before the sell by date.like the others have said.Your nose is the best judge.Full prise about £12 are you sure its not a turkey for that price.

DrScott 01:18 24 Jul 08

'I'm fully aware that if a piece of meat look fresh, doesn't smell off it could still conatian a very high amount of bacteria that can give you serious food poisoning....'

Even if cooked properly?

I must be very lucky to have so far survived.

mrwoowoo 01:19 24 Jul 08

A work collegue found a half empty jar of Marmite in an old locker. It was the most dirty /stained jar i have ever seen, and 6 years past it's sell by date.(i kid you not)
Pleased with his spoils he made Marmite on toast for several days with no ill effect.
When he left it out one day,the cleaner, disgusted by the state of the jar,gave it a nice wipe and clean.On seeing this nice shiney jar,he shook his head and threw it in the bin!

Quickbeam 09:40 24 Jul 08

the product doesn't suddenly turn at the stroke of mid-night (milk excepted)...

wiz-king 10:29 24 Jul 08

Is that when the cow jumps over the moon?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now