Upping sticks

spikeychris 19:01 02 Jan 07

Me, Mrs spikeychris and the little spikeyones are about to put our house on the market. We have our eye on a gorgeous house but it’s been 16 years since we last moved. Any idea of the pitfalls and solutions?

Ta

anskyber 19:11 02 Jan 07

Get a good Solicitor, I have moved 5 times (recently a year ago) in the time you have been in your present house. Access to your Solicitor at key stages is very important. I did most of my contact by email including sending copies of urgent documents (scanned) to let people see them ahead of the hard copy.

Be prepared to be let down and disappointed so try to be "disinterested" in the move, it saves anguish. Trust nobody to do things, continuous project management is invaluable so open your file now.

Have a very clear idea about how much you will include in your house sale, it's surprising how much people will try to negotiate out of you if exchange of contracts gets closer.

Be resolute, in the end you will get there and it will be worth it.

Chris the Ancient 19:18 02 Jan 07

Where are you going, Chris?

CtA

spuds 19:21 02 Jan 07

Will you need to provide or obtain a 'service pack' for both property's.Talks of introduction this year, but possibly now squashed, for the time being.

Have a look in the local library, for any books regarding 'Upping sticks'. My local library as a very good selection, from buying, selling and most things in between.

SANTOS7 19:25 02 Jan 07

click here
keeping track of everything can be a pain ,the link may help.

click here

there's a wealth of advice on here too..

spuds 19:26 02 Jan 07

Another thing, itemise what you intend leaving in your own property, or what you have agreed to be left in the new. Nothing like buying an house, with a nice laid out garden, then find the previous occupant as taken most of the shrubbery and light bulbs.

The Brigadier 19:30 02 Jan 07

Make sure where your moving is "really" the place for you. Visit you new area & home in the day, at rush hour, when the schools are out & at night.

Forum Editor 19:34 02 Jan 07

are many, but mostly easy to avoid with a little commonsense (which I'm sure you have in spades).

1. Pray that you don't get involved in one of those chains which tempts you to sell one house before you've bought the other one.

2. Ditto the other way around.

3. Don't make a final decision on that gorgeous house until you've seen it (and it's immediate area) in daylight, at night, and at a weekend.

4. Make sure that your solicitor realises that you are in the driving seat, and will phone on a daily basis if there's a hint of inactivity.

5. Once you've made the decision, study the surveyor's report very carefully, and if necessary get a friendly builder to do the same thing, and provide you with a rough idea of the cost of any necessary work. Then go back to the vendor and use the information to negotiate a revised purchase price.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Bapou 19:54 02 Jan 07

Try and do a discreet check on the neighbours, not easy I know but worth the try. The seller may be moving for various reasons, one of them could very well be a ruck with next door at some stage.

bluto1 20:16 02 Jan 07

Whatever you do spikeychris good luck.

knockin on 20:17 02 Jan 07

Make good use of the information form which sellers can be asked to fill in with information about their property. It should include questions about the property (subsidence, structural faults, hidden problems) and (following on from Bapou's good advice) neighbours; e.g. have you had any dispute with your neighbours?.9Your solicitor should be on the ball with one of these. If the vendor gives false information, youcan recover any loss suffered as a result.
Check the net for hazards like flood plains or late night chipshops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…