Unusual Bird

Bingalau 17:53 17 Feb 08

Are there any "Twitchers" on this forum? I caught a flash of red in the garden this afternoon and thought "Gosh, that's a big robin" Then I saw it feeding on the bags of bird nuts. So I grabbed my camera and although it is not a video camera decided to set it to video and see what came out. Please excuse the background television noise and also my lousy Liverpool accent when I accidentally spoke. can anyone identify this bird? I had a couple of tries at getting pictures. But this is the best I could do. It seems to have disappeared now but maybe it will come back tomorrow?

click here

click here

anskyber 17:56 17 Feb 08

greater spotted woodpecker.

anskyber 17:57 17 Feb 08
  Bingalau 18:03 17 Feb 08

anskyber. That's the one. Are you as fast as that with Brumas's postcard puzzles? I will have a read of the the article now and then I will be able to tell my grand-children to come and see it. By the way it's the first one I have ever seen in spite of being brought up in a small country village in the county of Salop. Thanks for the information...

anskyber 18:08 17 Feb 08

It's a lovely bird and I have a couple who visit my feeder. The markings are striking, the male (and the young) have a red patch at the back of the head whereas the female does not.

Bapou 18:13 17 Feb 08

Nothing unusual, there's one hammers out territory in the woods every day at this time of the year near us. It's paid a visit a couple of times to our garden before, nicking food from the bird table.

Strange thing is, I normally hear him as early as Jan 2nd. This year he's late, only last Tuesday to be precise.

Bingalau 18:14 17 Feb 08

I was wondering if there might be another one around. I am not sure if this one had a bit of red on it's head or not. If it shows up tomorrow I will try to get a better look at it and maybe actually get outside for a decent still picture. But I think it will be off like a shot if it hears any strange noise. I shall have to be very sneaky-beaky..

tullie 19:07 17 Feb 08

Dont worry about the accent,i believe a lot of scousers are learnings the local yorkshire dialect from Barnsley.

sunny staines 19:21 17 Feb 08

try tclick here one

Bingalau 19:45 17 Feb 08

tullie. I'm an Evertonian so I have no idea what you are on about.. LUS. (Just made that one up...Laughs up sleeve).

Brumas 22:16 17 Feb 08

Just seen this post, are you sure it is not a Liver Bird? ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…