Unsafe practice, what do you think.

Blackhat 17:48 22 May 07

I had a knock on my front door last night and it was a little old lady with a plastic carrier bag asking for my Christian Aid envelope. (I don't want a debate about who gives what to who or why) but she left empty handed.

One hour later I went round to my local corner shop and there she was on the next street knocking on doors, all alone, and with a slightly bulging carrier bag. She was missing the big sign on her head saying Easy Target.

This is not some friendly small country village here, its the middle of Birmingham.

Cymro. 17:51 22 May 07

You have a suspicious mind, but living in Birmingham, I can`t blame you. You should have asked for I.D. if only for curiosity sake.

Noldi 19:19 22 May 07

I remember the days when the Salvation Army ladies used to go around the towns pubs on a Saturday night collecting, I believe was it selling magazines. Some of the pubs I would not have ventured in and expected to escape without a black eye and a limb missing.

Noldi

Shortstop 19:37 22 May 07

Noldi - that brings back many memories. 'The Warcry' was the magazine/paper and I also used to marvel at the confidence that the women [and usually slighty-built men] who would enter some of the pubs in my much younger days!

fourm member is probably correct, but I can never honestly recall EVER hearing that they came to any harm. Indeed it was almost as if everyone in the pub watched over them but obviously this is not the case for street collectors. I will always remember an absolutely HUGE guy - who made Arnie look like Bill Gates - having a go at a couple of young men who were giving the ladies some near-the-knuckle comments. Strangley [!] I have a mental picture of them putting notes into the collection box and the man mountain smiling ......

The Sally Army & the fishman. Fond memories of a well mis-spent youth :o)

Ah, those were the days.

BR

Paul

Stuartli 20:05 22 May 07

I very much admire the work of the Salvation Army and we support its local charity shop and sales room.

However, collecting money for the War Cry in public houses always struck me as being somewhat hypocritical.

Bingalau 20:24 22 May 07

I love the Sally Army and what they do. (Hey if they can get a few bob out of pub customers pockets it's less for drinking). The Sally Army dished out cups of tea etc. in places like Malaya when you couldn't get the NAAFI anywhere near the place for a big clock. When I became a pub manager later they were always more than welcome in my place and they knew it. I used to walk round with some of the ladies and try to get the customers to put their hands a little deeper in their pockets. Now if I have anything to give to a charity it always goes to the dear old Sally Army.

recap 21:09 22 May 07

Last month there was a knock on the door and there stood a chap asking for donations for The Society for the Blind. When asked to fill in a simple form with bank details, my partner refused. She got suspicious and called the police and got the reply that she was right in phoning them. You should never give your bank details to anybody at the door said the officer.

It turned out to be OK and the person was from The Society for the Blind. We found this out after 2 police cars and 2 mini buses with street wardens turned up to check him out. Just like the buses, never see one for ages then two turn up.

You never can be too careful these days.

laurie53 07:35 23 May 07

Sally Ann has been there for me more than once when nobody else was interested.

It's one of the only two charities I support.

BT 08:04 23 May 07

I had a similar experience with the Christian Aid collection. A youngish woman turned up only a couple of hours after the envelope was delivered, asking for the envelope. As I was in the middle of my dinner and hadn't even thought of putting anything in it I asked her to call back later. That was 3 days ago and still no return. I should have asked for her ID I suppose but just think, if you know that the envelopes had been delivered in an area and were a bit shonkey you could probably rake in a fair bit by going round making out you were a collector and hoping that most people, like me, never even think of asking for ID.
I don't generally purchase anything or give to 'Charities' at the door, the exception being the local 'Lions' club who come around with their float at Christmas collecting for LOCAL causes.

wee eddie 09:10 23 May 07

Charity Mugging.

They are paid, frequently a percentage of what they raise, and I would not give them the time of day.

However other will say, I am sure, that it is an acceptable way to pay for your Gap Year!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…