UK Road Network

laurie53 20:55 08 Mar 07

Those of you involved in the daily dash along the M25 will no doubt be pleased to hear that the last stretch of single track trunk road on the UK mainland is about to be upgraded!

For the record it is a four mile stretch of the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig, The Road to the Isles

Laurie

Z1100 21:23 08 Mar 07

Does the Steam Train still go over the Viaduct?

I used to go up there for photography wanders..

Hanx!
K

FungusBoggieman 21:34 08 Mar 07

whats a road ?no raods here only farm tracks

Al94 21:36 08 Mar 07

Yes it does Z1100, I was on it last October. A great day out!

Al94 21:44 08 Mar 07

A photo will bring back memories! click here

laurie53 22:35 08 Mar 07

Now you're just being silly.

You'll be fantasising about dualling the A9 next!

Laurie

Kate B 22:39 08 Mar 07

Great photograph, Al94 - thanks for posting it.

oresome 23:23 08 Mar 07

Does anyone seriously think we can build our way out of traffic congestion?

Aargh 13:41 09 Mar 07

So why is most of the A47 trunk road between Leicester & Great Yarmouth still single carriageway?

And why would anyone want to change the lovely, narrow, winding A830 as it wanders past Glenfinnan Viaduct and the Bonnie Prince Charlie Monument. It was bad enough when they straightened out the bad bends near Morar Falls a few years back.

Alan H E 14:39 09 Mar 07

At least they have started work on the tunnels at Hindhead on the A3 though its going to mtake a long time.

laurie53 15:35 09 Mar 07

I believe you are confusing single track with single carriageway.

If you meet something coming the other way on a single track road one of you has to pull into a passing place, always assuming it's not blocked by some idiot taking pictures, to get past.

If you really think narrow winding single track roads are lovely, there are still plenty of them left on secondary routes.

For most of us it's not the standard one expects on a primary European trunk route in the 21st century!

Laurie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5