Uk Goverment Are they going too far with the cuts!

Uboat 16:30 14 Dec 10

Seems to me that they really are going a bit too far..& IMHO here is some of the evidence..

click here

&

click here

Snec 16:58 14 Dec 10

I know a couple of magistrates and if they are in any way typical (puffed up with their own importance) then I have always thought the whole part-time magistrate scene should be replaced by full-time professionals whose only job it is to administer justice. I could say a lot more about this.

With regard to the FSS, if the following is true then it seems not to be making optimum use of our money so - yes it is right to close it.

>> However, the FSS had faced increased private-sector competition for police contracts and Mr Brokenshire told the BBC this was enabling forces to achieve greater efficiency.
"They're seeing better turnaround in terms of the way in which forensics are being processed," he said. <<

Woolwell 17:12 14 Dec 10

I have to disagree with Snec about magistrates. I also know two and they are not jumped up in any way.

However if you look at the list of courts facing closure and those staying open then I don't see a real problem with the closures eg closing Totnes and keeping Newton Abbot.

If private companies can do the job of the FSS cheaper and more efficiently then the FSS should close.

Forum Editor 18:50 14 Dec 10

or don't we?

If we do, we must expect to make some sacrifices, and it seems to me that continuing to run a Forensic Science Service that's losing £2 million of public money every month when the same services can be provided by commercial laboratories is just plain silly.

Commercial labs already do 40% of Criminal forensics work anyway.

beeuuem 19:02 14 Dec 10

As we all know it will be essential services; social services, libraries and meals on wheels, etc.; that are cut to show us how heartless central government is being.
Meanwhile the diversity /recycling/ /equality /environmental warden teams will continue to expand regardless.
How did we manage without these and their like for so many years!!

natdoor 19:58 14 Dec 10

Do commercial laboritories have the capacity to expand their work by 150% ? And if there is no state-run service can we be sure that standards will not drop in these commercial outfits in pursuit of greater profits?

morddwyd 20:04 14 Dec 10

England's loss is Scotland's and Northern Ireland's gain, as they are both keeping their Forensic Science Services, and will no doubt pick up some of the work from England!

birdface 20:41 14 Dec 10

Magistrate should be replaced by full-time professionals whose only job it is to administer justice.
Man wanted for the murder of his wife.
High court judge ruled that as he was from a good family and he should be let out on bail.
I am not sure this was administering justice with a law for the rich and a different one for the poor.
I am just beginning to think that David Cameron has lost the plot.
He is back to his old ways in deciding to implement his decisions without thinking them through properly.
I have came to the conclusion that he is to young for the job and to immature to do the job properly.
Not sure if he will last the full 5 years but you never know.

Forum Editor 23:50 14 Dec 10

it will be essential services; social services, libraries and meals on wheels, etc.; that are cut to show us how heartless central government is being"

Really?

Presumably you have special insight, and suggestions as to how the government can find the huge sums we need in order to bail ourselves out of the mess we're in.

oresome 16:32 16 Dec 10

Well, to be fair to beeuuem's point, I've already seen a news item where one council were considering cutting the school crossing patrols.

The entire budget for this was less than the Chief Exec's salary.

On a general note, I've no doubt the cuts will impact and we will see a deteriation in the services we've come to expect.

Devil Fish 00:56 17 Dec 10

no they havent gone to far having lived through the dark days of the late 70s this mess needs to be sorted and fast

yes their are going to be casualties job wise and i feel for anyone that looses their job through it but its the nature of the beast that has been created by years of the not so prudent chancellor

a lot of people critizised thatcher but she turned this country around and im sure if the con lib pact sticks together the same will happen again

real jobs create wealth the state doesn't harsh but true

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…