'UK faces blackouts' warning

Seth Haniel 13:52 12 Nov 08

Major power blackouts could occur in the UK within the next ten years, according to energy experts.
They told the BBC the government has not been decisive enough in securing future energy supplies.
Roger Harrabin reports.
click here

The Brigadier 14:24 12 Nov 08

Back to the 70's of using candles to see by & cooking on a camping stove, will we have Labour in power at the time?

johndrew 14:32 12 Nov 08

`Back to the 70's of using candles to see by & cooking on a camping stove ..`

Ahh!! the joy of all electric married quarters and needing to cook, wash and get the temperature up at all sorts of unusual times, or stay hungry, dirty and cold.

Who says history doesn`t repeat itself???????

john bunyan 15:10 12 Nov 08

I have wiring for a generator input. Generators have ratings such as 5.5 kva, but for a "normal" house, to run freeze, fridge, lighting, (gas) central heating pump, maybe a tv, (I assume an electic oven would draw too much power unless one bought a really expensive generator)what generator size would one want. I have a manual switch over switch. I accept my 3 phase sewage pump would have to not work during a power cut.
Had a 2 1/2 hour cut on Monday, nearly missed Spooks.

wiz-king 15:54 12 Nov 08

The main problem with most generators is the lack of stability in the voltage, waveform and frequency departments.

Forum Editor 15:57 12 Nov 08

to get the media people excited.

There's an unacceptable risk of blackouts according to some energy experts. Other energy experts disagree, and I've no doubt the government disagrees. Personally, I intend to get on with my life, and worry about blackouts if and when they occur.

Cymro. 16:02 12 Nov 08

We depend far too much on foreign power providers, I assume we all agree at least on that, so where are we to get our power from then?

Well we must produce more of our own and as fossil fuels are out due to the damage to the environment, again I assume not much of an argument on that, so what have we left?

Renewables are not making as much of an impression as we expected and anyway the economics of them is debatable, so whats left now?

I have always thought that we could have done much more with hydroelectricity than we have done. The Seven Barrage looks promising even if it is very expensive to build and I dare say that the environmentalist and the RSPB will be against such a scheme.

I was always very much in favour of nuclear power. Yes I do know that it has it`s problems, very expensive to build and decommission, and no doubt the green lobby will be very much against it due to the problem of what to do about the waste produced.

There are many who will advocate more conservation of power and I dare say it has a part to play but just how much are we willing and able to save I don`t know.

I suspect that it is one of those problems that have no answer, or at least no easy answer that is acceptable to all parties concerned.

Seth Haniel 16:22 12 Nov 08

in and torch batteries - than the press not report it and everyones left in the dark

;)

natdoor 17:00 12 Nov 08

Perhaps we should have a few of these click here

The problem is that with power generation in private hands, the government can isssue White Papers but cannot force companies to build new facilities. I think it was wrong to rule out nuclear, which ould have prevented planning permission being granted for new builds, but the mood has changed and it is very much back on the agenda. This will not ensure that EDF will build power stations unless they are satisfied of their profitability or they get financial incentives to run them.

A proper national power strategy would provide a balance of methods of generation and would include some redundancy as an insurance to guarantee supply. This cannot be provided by the current competitive industrial framework.

Cymro. 17:08 12 Nov 08

I sugest we all read the natdoor post above. Very interesting and very promising.

Forum Editor 19:20 12 Nov 08

We talked about these miniature nuclear reactors some time ago, and the technology certainly looks promising. Unfortunately nothing is as simple as it seems, and a country dotted with small underground reactors is an unlikely scenario for many reasons, not the least of which is a nation of people who have been conditioned into thinking that nuclear power stations are potentially a danger.

Local authorities would find themselves having to consider planning applications for these facilities, and it doesn't take a genius to imagine the protracted objections and petitions that would ensue. The answer, as natdoor points out,is to have a national power strategy, with the force of law behind it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced