UK EMAIL CD

recap 16:04 10 Nov 04

I have just received an email trying to sell me the above CD, which has 4,600,000 VALIDATED UK email addresses.

If this is genuine, is this not now breaking the law in Europe some how as it relates, I think to possible spamming?

Btw, I am not tempted to purchase this CD.

Forum Editor 16:53 10 Nov 04

anyone would ever want to buy such information is for the purpose of spamming said email addresses. It's not illegal to offer such information for sale, or to buy it, but it's illegal to make use of it in any way that involves contacting the people in the list for the purpose of trying to sell (or give)them a product or service, or to seek to promote a cause, or appeal for monetary or other donations, or to solicit for help or assistance with a project or cause.

In fact, for all practical purposes it's illegal to contact people in this way at all unless they've previously given their consent.

recap 17:43 10 Nov 04

Thanks FE.

This is what they say about the software:

"The CD will be sent by first class post and you will also receive FREE software to send 30,000+ emails per hour.

Note: This CD does not contain any personal information of email address owners eg name/address etc."

To me this is inciting people to create spam.

Forum Editor 18:43 10 Nov 04

and of course the CD is aimed at online marketers - the fact that they are almost certain to be spammers isn't technically classed as incitement. It's the old "The gun-shop isn't breaking the law by selling the gun that a bank-robber might use" argument, and of course it has to be that way with lots of things.

These CDs are not 'lots of things' however - because they contain only email addresses they're specifically designed for use by spammers, and in my opinion it should be an offence to sell such stuff.

recap 09:11 11 Nov 04

"and in my opinion it should be an offence to sell such stuff."

I totally agree with your statement FE. Maybe incitement is a bit of a strong word, but having to deal with a lot of spam each and every day well that's the way this makes me feel.

The address on the email for cheque/postal orders, is a London address. Doing a search via Multimap click here shows them to be based at a hospital, a strange place to be based at. Not unless it is a specific type of hospital for the mentally disturbed?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:28 11 Nov 04

You can buy a CD that contains every UK address, the electoral roll, every postcode and you can find an address from a telephone number. This email CD pales into insignificance, in any case email addresses are not copyright and the internet is an *ahem* open resource.

G

g0slp 09:31 11 Nov 04

I've had that email (from different 'alleged' email addys) 6 times in the last 4 days. Just put it in the round file, as it were, but I agree 100% with FE's comments. Is there really nobody who can deal with such stuff?

recap 09:33 11 Nov 04

I don't know if this is true of the email CD, but the postal address CD you can have your name & address removed at a cost.

g0slp 09:37 11 Nov 04

Isn't that particular CD only containing information already in the public domain though?

I'm not looking to pick an argument, but there's a definite distinction between the CD you mention and the CD that's being peddled deliberately towards spammers.

As far as phone numbers are concerned, I'm ex-directory for my land line...

recap 09:48 11 Nov 04

"I'm ex-directory for my land line..." g0slp that is I suppose the way I define my email addresses, as I only give it to people whom I want to have it.

g0slp 10:11 11 Nov 04

I agree. I don't hand my email address out willy-nilly either, but it only takes 1 of your contacts to have their Address Book 'raided', for want of a better word (!) or 1 business you deal with to be less than scrupulous, & before you know it the spam comes thick & fast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…