UK Dentists and your part of the country!!

spuds 11:53 03 Sep 08

Has the situation improved, with regards to the dental services here in the UK. At once upon a time, it was virtually a weekly highlighted occurrence of the poor services people were receiving. Yet nowadays, very little seems to be stated on the subject, except reports from the governments saying " No one should be denied dental services, things are improving".As the ship sank or is it still floating!.

About 6 weeks ago, I went for a normal dental check up, and a filling required replacement (according to the dentist). A second appointment was arranged for two weeks later, and the work was completed. Yesterday the crown next to the replacement filling, appears to have broken off or worked loose and is now missing. Phone call to dental surgery, and was informed my normal dentist is on holiday till the 23rd September 2008. Asked if there is an alternative dentist available, of the 5 dentist practise, and informed "0nly as an urgent emergency", and only then if you phone a 9am to see if we have anyone available.

How are you finding things in your part of the country. Have things improved or deteriorated further?.

Quickbeam 12:33 03 Sep 08

After years of traveling about the country with work and not being able to make and keep appointments easily I got dumped from my dentists list about 5 years ago.

I got back on with the new changes last year, but find my dentists attitude and care has changed radically. He used to seem um-hurried and had time to talk procedures through, now he just wants to get me in and out asap.

When I've asked about the more expensive treatments, he says there isn't anything in this years budget to do it, but can do it privately.

I've had a couple of crowns done last year, but at my accountants dentist in Poland, at a fraction of the UK price.

So no, it's not improving at all. Roll on the Hungarian 'Tinker Dentists' that are coming over... two fillings and mend the pots with the left over amalgam!

spuds 13:20 03 Sep 08

Like you Quickbeam, I was 'dumped' by my previous dentist, due to me not making an appointment for the every 6 month check. When asked for the reason of the decision, I was informed it was 'my duty, and not the dental practises duty to arrange appointments and check-up'. Considering 'my duty' had never happened in the previous 8/9 years. I was a little concerned, until I was able to locate a replacement dentist, but that service as not been without doubts.

When I joined the new practise, the surgery was open from 8.30am until 6.00pm, with two evenings till 7.00pm, and Saturdays 9.00am till 11.30am. The surgery times have changed, now its 9.00am till 12.30pm, 2.00pm till 5.30pm and no late nights or Saturday mornings.No entry to the surgery before or after these times, doors closed and locked. Emergencies (posted in surgery) are by mobile number, with no promise of dentist attendance.If other practises are following a similar reduced service procedure, then no wonder some dentist are struggling with appointments. The particular practise that I use, caters for both NHS and private, and in some cases, the dentist as suggested private payment for basic check-ups.

Stuartli 13:30 03 Sep 08

It seems the Hungarian dentists involved use state of the art equipment.

You have to applaud their initiative. See:

click here

Many people, unlike your apparent view, make the mistake that because someone is foreign, then they are not as capable, knowledgeable or professional as the British...:-)

spuds 15:54 03 Sep 08

Looking at Stuartli's link, I would be a little put off, seeing an 'S' registered private ambulance outside the consulting room/tent :O)

Quickbeam 08:54 04 Sep 08

of things to come?

When I'm 80 will I be eagerly awaiting the arrival of a traveling medicine show to see a quack because we can't afford an NHS one...?

Stuartli 10:02 04 Sep 08

>>I would be a little put off, seeing an 'S' registered private ambulance>>

Why? It's a Mercedes (quality built-in), it's only eight years old and there's unlikely to be many flashing blue lights episodes for dental patients...:-)

lofty29 19:49 04 Sep 08

quickbeam
follwing on from another thread, we have a greek nhs dentist and he knocks into a cocked hat any british dentist I have been to

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…