Tyred....

Seth Haniel 08:33 22 Aug 08

a guy at work rekons his 16 yr old car still has the same set of tyres as when bought new and he's only done 42,000 miles -

would tyres last this long - as I seem to need new ones every couple of years?

birdface 08:52 22 Aug 08

Yes he should get 42.000 miles out of his tyres.I always found that the original tyres on a new car last longer than replacement tyres.Why I don't know.I am talking about new cars and over a 1year period over 16 years may be different and the owner must have taken good care of the car and obvious only doing 2500 miles a year helped.

Pine Man 08:54 22 Aug 08

Many, many years ago I had an old Ford Anglia that was about 20 years old and was fitted with Michelin X tyres. They were still legal but those of you that remember those tyres will also remember that, although they lasted a long time, they were notorious in the wet and usually outlived the car they were fitted to!

Pine Man 08:54 22 Aug 08

Should have added that they had done about 55,000 miles.

interzone55 09:09 22 Aug 08

It depends on the tyres, and how your colleague drives.

I got 24,000 miles out of the first set of tyres on my diesel Fabia, which is a little annoying as I don't drive fast. The problem is that diesel cars wear out tyres faster because the engine is heavier, but also they were low resistance tyres to improve economy and cut down on road noise - these tyres don't last as long as harder tyres.

I think it's pretty good that a set of tyres have lasted 16 years without perishing though...

rawprawn 10:04 22 Aug 08

When I was traveling in the 1960's I regularly got over 50,000 miles out of Michelin X tyres

Seth Haniel 10:59 22 Aug 08

G'day,

think they made things to last in those days

mind I think the pot holes and speed humps have a lot to answer for now

Woolwell 11:18 22 Aug 08

Tyres age and I would replace, on safety grounds, any tyres that are over 10 years olds. Rospa's advice is here:
click here

Noldi 11:27 22 Aug 08

These part worn tyres you can buy on the cheap are shipped in from Europe because after 3 years they harden up giving less grip. Some of these tyres come from Germany who drive quite fast and don’t entertain old tyres for safety reasons.

So I think after 16 years they would be hard and also give a lot of road noise.

Noldi

skeletal 11:47 22 Aug 08

If you drive gently, and don’t exceed about 50-60 MPH, and have rear wheel drive you can get very good mileage figures. I knew someone, long ago, who drove as I described and he managed an unbelievable 50k; perhaps it was rawprawn!

My wife’s Fiesta, driven quite gently (it has so little power you can’t do much else!) can get through front tyres in about 10-15k.

I would be worried after about ten years though, because of the rubber’s deterioration.

You can, potentially, extend the life by rotating the wheel positions. This used to be done more in “the good old days” but people are in disagreement now as to whether it is a good idea. For some tyres you certainly have to be careful to make sure they don’t end up rotating in the opposite direction.

I am pondering this very thing now as my rear tyres have worn a lot in the middle, but have a lot of tread on the outside. Swapping front to rear would allow a few thousand more miles as I scrub the outside edges to match the middle! (Please note, this effect is not due to over-inflation, it seems likely to be down to the steering geometry and is common on some cars). At £200 each, getting a few miles more is quite handy!

Skeletal

spuds 12:10 22 Aug 08

The life span of a tyre would in my opinion depend on the manufacturer. Like as been previously mentioned, Michelin were a noted brand for reliability and long life. I also found Kelly tyres, though being cheaper than Michelin were just as good, even Which Association gave that particular product good reports.

One well advertised particular budget brand of tyre (forgot the name)was very sad in quality, but people bought them, because of the low cost and no doubt the marketing hype.

Most of my latest vehicles seem to run on Korean made tyres, due to cost and easy access of other branded products.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…