Two nations divided by a common language

bremner 18:58 05 Nov 13

I love faggots

Have you other examples of how words have differing meanings depending on where you live.

1]: [click here

natdoor 19:08 05 Nov 13

In the States "a rubber" has a different meaning.

Aitchbee 21:58 05 Nov 13

Slightly off subject, but, I can't help but cringe when I hear a native UK speaker say the Americanism - "Do the math", when all along, us Brits have always referred to the shortened version of mathematics as "maths".

orienne21 22:07 05 Nov 13

Two examples which have different connotations in the USA....bum, meaning tramp and fannypack which we call a bumbag. You've got to laugh!

wee eddie 22:31 05 Nov 13

You lot scare the pants off me!

Pine Man 10:47 06 Nov 13

Over here it's a Path at the sides of the Road.

Strictly speaking that bit you walk on that runs along the side of the road (carriageway) is a footway. The bit you walk on that does not abut the carriageway is footpath.

fourm member 11:02 06 Nov 13

I used to work for an American company and had a lot of fun using English expressions to cause confusion.

The best reaction I got was telling a sales meeting 'I don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs'.

BT 11:13 06 Nov 13

It always brings a smile to my face when I recall an email my wife got from an American friend who loves all things British when she said she was getting herself a pair of WILLIES for the garden. What she really meant was *WELLIES* and my wife had to aquaint her with the difference.

Quickbeam 11:40 06 Nov 13

I've always smiled at the similar casual offer of a fag to an innocent American:O

bumpkin 12:22 06 Nov 13

Condom (American flat)

fourm member 12:32 06 Nov 13

At another US exhibition I was introduced to someone called Randy Holliday. My American colleagues didn't know why I had to walk away because I couldn't stifle my laughter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017