TV News Media's Blanket Coverage of a Street!

madgamer234 10:35 29 Jun 07

i tuned in many times to the BBC news and Sky news for the week-end weather forecast.

granted i can check teletext and the internet but over the years i have found that the BBC weather slots are pretty good.
with many people at risk of flooding and with more heavy rain due this weekend,this is not a trivial request for finding out the latest weather.

i've been checking before the half hour and just before the hour but all we get is a constant live broadcast of a silver car in a london street. plus silly ex top cops,who are now security experts,telling us sod all.

there is more to this country than central london so from our BBC let's hear it please.

the news media just salivate over these opportunities to ply their hollow blanket and pompous coverages.

Colin 11:34 29 Jun 07

I thought the same thing this morning. I usually have News 24 on when I'm not at work and use the weather forecasts at half past and on the hour to plan my day. It is a serious news item, but the blanket coverage of nothing just shows that they have stretch things out to fill 24 hour coverage. When things like this happen, I wonder what would have been on the news if this hadn't happened. Where those articles not important?

spuds 11:44 29 Jun 07

The BBC and other media channels set up 'local' stations, perhaps they intended that people in those areas used these facilities more!.

Colin 12:04 29 Jun 07

What local stations do you mean? Is there a local alternative to News 24 or Sky News that I'm not aware of or do you mean the ones that give you 5 minutes of local news every few hours?

simonjary 13:15 29 Jun 07

It's more of a tent than a blanket.

anskyber 13:36 29 Jun 07

The events in London are of national importance and good coverage is important. I have BBC News 24 streaming now and have done since this morning. The coverage is relentless and uninterrupted by anything else.

The media can nonetheless be a little Londoncentric and perhaps they should remember that, important though the events are and of wider interest to us all, something like 5 out of 6 people do not live in London. We might just be interested in people who have suffered problems in flooded areas as well as those people who nearly did but did not in London.

I do not underestimate the significance of this latest terrorist attempt but could the BBC spare 10 minutes in 60 for other things, it's a feeding frenzy.

Stuartli 17:44 29 Jun 07

I've also seen coverage of the flooded areas on News 24 and Sky News today, although for the moment the ceasing of the rainfall has eased the situation a little.

However, a major terrorist incidence is always headline news and it would have been very surprising indeed if any news media had not given it their almost undivided attention.

Remember, it was only by a pure fluke that the potential for a terrible catastrophe was avoided.

Forum members would have been writing in very much different vein if the ambulance crew had not noticed something amiss on what would normally be regarded as a routine call.

anskyber 17:51 29 Jun 07

Yes, but that is hypothetical, the ambulance crews did notice it. Try not to rewrite history.

HCOOH 18:29 29 Jun 07

TV is like that, if one station covers an event then the whole circus rolls up to cover it also. Cannot have a station having an exclusive. So you get pictures of a Mercedes being put on a loader from every channel. I know it's a serious subject which affects everyone but showing pictures of a deserted Picadilly Circus is not very informative. We can also do without Jack Straw claiming a major coup in the fight against terrorism, when purely by chance the car was apparently seen by a Paramedic team attending the intended target site to help a clubber. Hopefully with the car and contents intact there will be clues left as to the scum who attempted this outrage.

Input Overload 18:31 29 Jun 07
  Stuartli 19:14 29 Jun 07

It's hypothetical whichever way you look at it.

The fact that a paramedic crew, busily occupied with an injured person, were still vigilant enough to spot what appeared to be smoke in a car, despite it being the early hours of the morning, was an incredible stroke of luck.

We should be thankful that whoever was unfortunate enough to be injured almost certainly, by a remarkable twist of fate, was to unknowingly help prevent the possibility of many, many others being far more seriously injured or even killed.

HOOCH

You don't seriously think that any other news channel or media would ignore such an event, do you?

You also forget that New 24 and Sky News are "rolling news channels" i.e. you can tune in and gather the latest news information in a period not longer than 15 minutes at a stretch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…