TV Advertising

laurie53 08:55 04 Jun 07

I was watching some live sport on TV over the weekend, it doesn’t matter which, and at one point there was an advertising break.

During this break there was a major happening, again it doesn’t matter which, and I missed it.

Obviously there was a replay after the break, but if I’d wanted to watch recorded highlights I wouldn’t have been watching live.

Now I’ve got nothing against advertisers, they pay for a large proportion of my entertainment, but my question is this, - does this particular advertiser think that I, or any of my million or so fellow enthusiast, are now more likely to buy their product?

namtas 09:23 04 Jun 07

Whilst accepting the point you make and fully supporting it, without advertising there would be no sport or indeed no TV from the the commercial organisations. With regard to wether or not you are more likely to buy their product is interesting, I believe TV avertising or TV imaage perception is a subtle very powerful tool, it is done by association, by seeing and being made aware of something and seeing it over a period on time you accept and become familiar, it becomes part of your knowledge base and it is this that product compatibility that they are after. In a similar but more disturbing way everyday constant visions of violence and human suffering can desensitise us possibly some more easily than others. This can blur reality over time and the distinction between the two get lost.

laurie53 09:39 04 Jun 07

I take your point but do not agree.

Rather than become innured to it, there are good programmes I will not watch simply because of the amount of out of context and gratuitous foul language in them.

Even after 40 years in the forces I find it offensive.

Similarly, every time I see this particular advertiser's products my first thoughts are not of the virtues of the product, but of how often it has ruined my viewing.

The points you make are more appropriate to subliminal advertising, which is not permitted anyway.

Bingalau 09:49 04 Jun 07

laurie53. I agree with you. I only did 23 years in the forces but find the language used in a lot of programs to be well over the top. If I am watching on my own I just switch off. But if I am watching with my wife I just say "goodnight" and go to bed. Bring back Mrs. Whitehouse!

tullie 10:47 04 Jun 07

I dont agree with foul language myself,but unfortunately its a sign off the times,and has been with us since adam was a lad,being in the forces is irrelevant,what you hear in the forces is just a reflection of society.I learned plenty of choice words before i joined up.Incidenty,i thought the topic was advertising?

interzone55 20:35 04 Jun 07

With regard to your original point, as you were watching a live event, the producers had no idea that an important event was about to happen, so the adverts were triggered.

I do not like advertising in the main, and am not greatly swayed by it, but unless the TV license fee is doubled to pay for ITV as well as the BBC, adverts are unlikely to disappear any time soon. And due to their very nature adverts are shown at a time when the audience is at the highest, so a major sporting event will attract more adverts.

I've also noticed that advert breaks are longer and more frequent, we used to get 2 minutes every 3 times an hour, we now get 4 minutes 4 times an hour, sometimes even more. What annoys me the most is during the football. At the stroke of half time there'll be a break, then the presenter will come back, with the personality challenged summarisers who will make a couple of inane comments, then the adverts will be back. They might as well do away with the summarisers and fill the whole half time break with adverts, it will save ITV paying Alan Shearers wages

Si_l 21:33 04 Jun 07

Alan14 - The double advert break is to make up for the fact that you get 45 minutes uninterrupted football, so it is balanced out. If they didn't do this, ITV would lose the right to show the football. The BBC don't show adverts, and its only because ITV does that things like this go for them:

click here

Laurie53 - This happens a lot in F1 - a short break and we have missed a crash or something. Its frustrating and I suppose sends out negative feelings along with their brand, that can't be good.

Namtas - talking of clever subliminal advertising, I read in the paper about a cigarette company who made playing cards, and gave them to schools, and to kids on airlines etc, basically distributed them to as many kids as possible. The package was almost identical in design to the cigarette packaging, and over time, these kids, when it came to choosing a cigarette brand, went for the box they felt comfortable.

More subliminal advertising here:

click here

Some very clever Derren Brown stuff.

interzone55 21:39 04 Jun 07

I'm aware of that, but my point still stands, just fill the whole of half time with adverts so I can pop out and brew up.

You mentioned F1 - I was quite shocked to notice that Ferrari had their Marlboro adverts back. Every other team has managed to find sufficient sponsorship without resorting to tobacco ads, but the richest team in the sport still needs to resort to taking Marlboro's cash.

Jim Thing 21:54 04 Jun 07

There's no doubt that there are some very clever and creative people in the advertising industry. There's also no doubt that market research plays a key role in the industry's operations, and that the effectiveness of each campaign is measured to a string of decimal places — or so it is claimed by those who do that kind of work for a living.

That being so, could someone from the industry please explain how all this expertise ends up (for example) as a decision that an effective way to flog car insurance on TV is to have some poor soul capering about the screen dressed as a cartoon elephant?

There surely can't be many eight-year-olds in the market for car insurance?

laurie53 08:57 05 Jun 07

Just to reiterate my original comment.

I have nothing against advertisers, they pay for, or subsidise, much of my entertainment whether on television, radio, magazines, newspapers or even this forum.

I was complaining about the timing, nothing else.

lisa02 11:49 06 Jun 07

"...about the screen dressed as a cartoon elephant?

There surely can't be many eight-year-olds in the market for car insurance"

No but the kids can scream like hell to get you to look at the screen, even from the next room, when they see something like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…