Turning CO² back into Fuel??

DieSse 21:09 14 Sep 06

Technology is usually the best way forward - not negativity.

Processes such as this, and fusion power (which will be there some day), and many others - are the real way forward.

DieSse 21:10 14 Sep 06

And the link would help too! click here

namtas 21:51 14 Sep 06

Interesting concept and can you imagine running your car on water, oh my goodness not more taxes.
Every ten years or so as new method pops up. I suppose that perhaps one day the secret will be found. They have been trying to seperate CO2 for at least 50 years that I am aware of, As long as it takes nmore energy to split it than it produces it will obviously never be viable. But then if they do manage it, the oil companies would sit up smartly.

RonWH 01:54 15 Sep 06

It would be interesting to know what these liquid explosives are made from and how cheap they are to make. They could be the basis of a new fuel for powering vehicles. All thats needed is the ability to control the release of power.

wiz-king 05:04 15 Sep 06

Easy-peasy. Nitro glycerine is the most well known and was often made by adventurous schoolboys. The problem is that unless you are very lucky it is so unstable it goes off when you don't want it to -- like as your making it.
If it is mixed in with powdered chalk it becomes not stable and is sold as Dynamite. Not suitable for cars!

Wilham 14:15 15 Sep 06

Reminds me of a long time ago in a discussion among science teachers I said, "Aren't all physical processes reversible?"
"Can you uncook a sausage?" someone quipped.
I mumbled about raising piglets on sausages to harvest later, but was back-peddling.

What DiesSe's link doesn't answer is how to recover CO2 from the air on a grand scale for processing.

Pidder 18:58 15 Sep 06

Surely this is what bio-fuels do?

RonWH 19:03 15 Sep 06

They already recover large amounts of co2 and sell it. In large steel bottles in liquid form and as dry ice in solid form.

Wilham 19:37 15 Sep 06

Piddler: Not quite. I'm not a chemist but my understanding is that bio-fuels as vegetable oils have disadvantages compared with mineral oils in efficient internal combustion engines. Isn't bio-fuel for diesels usually blended?

Wilham 19:42 15 Sep 06

RonWH: True, but that is not recovered from the atmosphere.

Forum Editor 19:55 15 Sep 06

for new fuel sources, the problem is (initially at any rate) one of conversion efficiency. Crudely put, there's not much point in spending £1 to make £0.99 worth of fuel.

I agree that we should encourage work of this nature, and I agree that processes such as this are probably the hope for the future, but let's not get too excited, too early.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…