A Tunnel Record

Bingalau 10:25 12 Oct 10

click here

Very interesting site... Gotthard Tunnel

Brumas 10:33 12 Oct 10

Bookmarked, shall look through it later when I have more time.

Bingalau 10:41 12 Oct 10

Brumas. When you do, make sure you look at the "Journey Through The Alps" diagrams. Fascinating stuff.

Quickbeam 11:37 12 Oct 10

But to drive through it's an incredibly boring tunnel. I used it in '98 returning from my nieces wedding for convenience. It seemed like an eternity of constant droning engines and ventilation hum, and after 10 miles the paranoia of did I have enough fuel to get through sets in, and what if I break down and what if there's an earthquake...

I went through the Mont Blanc tunnel in the early '70s when I was 17 with my father on the way to Piacenza in a Morris Marina. He was a tunnelling engineer for Cementation for many years ... and he thought that was excitement personified!

Coming back we took the risk the wrath of the Mafia bulldozing our car over the edge on the hairpins of the overland St Bernard route. Now that was exciting at 17:)

Noldi 11:45 12 Oct 10

"But to drive through it's an incredibly boring tunnel. I used it in '98 returning from my nieces wedding for convenience. It seemed like an eternity of constant droning engines and ventilation hum"

But this is the new rail tunnel not for cars. trucks will go through simular to Euro tunnel. I visited the site (north end) 2 years ago, it was amazing how organised it all was removing the debris from the drilling operation.

The systems that they will have in place to check the trains, Loaded correctly. lorries havent left airials sticking up, tankers leaking etc.

Noldi

Quickbeam 12:02 12 Oct 10

Wrong tunnel, it was the St Gotthard pass that I used once at another time.

It was the tunnel between Austria and Lichtenstein and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it took an eternity to drive through.

spuds 13:28 12 Oct 10

If you have Freeview, then have a look at Quest. Many great feats of engineering are being televised recently, including knocking big holes in mountainsides.

Bingalau 14:32 12 Oct 10

Yes this is the new railway tunnel I believe. Cutting hours off times from European cities to Italy and back.

The story of the first tunnel being dug out mostly by Italians seems Worlds away now. Modern methods must have made a hell of a difference.

Noldi 17:39 12 Oct 10

Quickbeam

You did probably use the Gotthard road tunnel, the one every body is talking about is the new Gottard rail tunnel that they finally broke through last week. The tunnel in Austria is the Arlberg tunnel the one you have to pay to use on top of the cost of a motorway sticker. This is under the ski resort of Lech (the one used in Bridget Jones film - Lech Zurs).

Noldi

Quickbeam 17:53 12 Oct 10

Thanks for that. It may sound daft, but at the time I didn't take too much note of the route as there was 3 days of torrential rain as I returned, so it wasn't worth tying to use the spectacular high passes. We just wanted to get the hell away from the rain, which took until the Cologne area where we stopped along the Rhine for a beer festival:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5