Tunisian woman claimed to be expecting 12 children

Stuartli 23:15 17 Aug 09

Story in tomorrow's (Tuesday) Daily Mail about a Tunisian woman who has had IVF and is due to give birth shortly to no fewer than a dozen babies - six boys and six girls.

click here

Must be both an exciting and worrying time in hoping that all goes well.

Not much sleep for her or her husband for a few months it would seem.....

Good luck to both of them and the hope that all the babies will be fit and healthy.

Stuartli 23:18 17 Aug 09

In the case of the UK, one of those depressing tales that crop up from time to time:

click here

Forum Editor 23:59 17 Aug 09

and the hope that all the babies will be fit and healthy."

They will not. As clearly pointed out in the article, there is less than a one in 100 chance of any of these babies surviving.

Si_L 02:07 18 Aug 09

but she sounds optimistic about it at least:

"All I want to do is be able to hug my babies and show them all my love,"

And I am struggling to look at this as a "miracle" as she claims it is. Maybe this is better left until after the birth has taken place, but a one in a hundred shot does not ring true of a miracle.

Stuartli 08:55 18 Aug 09

Yes, I do appreciate that the odds against survival are stated in the piece, but I've been an optimist throughout my life.

It's also an antidote to the belief of my other half (and that of her family) that the glass is never, never half full...

interzone55 08:58 18 Aug 09

I always find it amazing when people have very strong religious faiths, all common sense goes out the window.

If it works it's "god's will", if it doesn't it's also "god's will".

This is an example of what can happen you put all your faith in your god:

click here

This guy let his daughter die from an easily treatable condition because he was praying for her rather than seeking medical help.

Here's a typical quote:

"If I go to the doctor, I am putting the doctor before God," he said. "I am not believing what he said he would do."

He's been found guilty and faces 25 years in jail, maybe his god wanted him to go to jail...

Si_L 15:07 18 Aug 09

It reminds me of the well known joke about the religious man stuck in the flood that ignores a boat and a helicopter with the belief that God will save him.

"If it works it's "god's will", if it doesn't it's also "god's will"."

Also a good point. It seems that given these conditions you may as well pray to a lightbulb, as it will meet this conditions every time. Too often the random chance in this world that happens to be good is attributed to God's goodness, and the bad to 'his mysterious ways, who are we to question them?'.

My religious sister lent me a book called the Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom in an effort to show God's grace to me. She cites the sparing of the Jews hiding in the attic as proof of God's love for them. I then asked her why 6 million others weren't as lucky, and she didn't have an answer.

Forum Editor 17:21 18 Aug 09

or a miracle, and everything to do with fertility drugs. The babies have almost no chance of survival, regardless of how much praying and hoping goes on.

interzone55 19:46 18 Aug 09

"This has nothing whatever to do with God,"

You know that, most people here know that, but some people have different (perhaps deluded) opinions, as highlighted quite tragically in my link...

Legolas 21:31 20 Aug 09

I read a report in the Metro this morning that this woman is suffering from "psychological problems" and there is no evidences that she is pregnant at all never mind expecting 12 babies. click here
the link is not from Metro but is the same article I read therein

zzzz999 06:50 23 Aug 09

Legolas
Thu, 20/08/09@21:31

I read a report in the Metro this morning that this woman is suffering from "psychological problems" and there is no evidences that she is pregnant at all never mind expecting 12 babies.

God is indeed wise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced