Tuition Fees

morddwyd 21:19 16 Mar 11

"Tavish Scott, (Scottish Lib Dem leader) said universal free benefits, such as bus travel for pensioners and prescriptions, could be cut to maintain free education at universities."

click here

Wow! With an ageing population I can see that being a real vote winner in May!

(not saying I agree with universal free benefits, but this is not the time for Tavish Scott to be saying so)

peter99co 21:30 16 Mar 11

The young can have it all when we have gone.

Including the debt.

What a terrible mess we are making.

But... we need clever people to take over and without skilled people it will all go down the plughole with us.

ams4127 21:52 16 Mar 11

Well said peter99co.

DippyGirl 23:48 16 Mar 11

"But... we need clever people to take over and without skilled people it will all go down the plughole with us."
Alas they are unlikely to come from mainstream UK education.

wee eddie 03:45 17 Mar 11

All the Parties are trying to buy Votes with promises that they can only fund with borrowed money.

God save Scotland's Kids, this lot of Politicians are mortgaging their future.

spider9 07:16 17 Mar 11

"this is not the time for Tavish Scott to be saying so"

But he's a LibDem, so why should anything he says have any credibility? (Particularly in regard to tuition fees!!).

PaulsonW 08:52 17 Mar 11

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I was under the impression that Scotland and Wales uni fees are subsidised by England. This is the same situation with their prescription fees for medication.

john 52 09:11 17 Mar 11

DippyGirl

Alas they are unlikely to come from mainstream UK education.

Sometimes I think we are too hard on the younger generation like any generation before us its whether they are trained and nurtured to take there position in the workplace ,the press seem to delight in telling the public that exams are getting easier while there is no doubt some students abuse the education system many are extremely hard working .

The only thing I fear is the lack of opportunity for graduates in today's workplace

spuds 10:02 17 Mar 11

"The only thing I fear is the lack of opportunity for graduates in today's workplace".

And perhaps one of the major problems is the subjects that some of these graduates are undertaking?.

In my younger days, it was all to do with engineering, construction etc, now it would all appear to be a 'clean-hand' occupation that most graduates want to fill, but of course those occupations are now becoming non-existent rapidly.

A local Co-op store was in the local newspaper the other week, because the particular store would appear to have one of the most highly educated shelf-stacker's in the business. That particular person as all the qualifications in maths and similar subjects, yet after 18 months, he ends up in the job he as, just to make ends meet. I only hope the article brings potential employers to his aid?.

jakimo 12:54 17 Mar 11

The only thing I fear is the lack of opportunity for graduates in today's workplace".

Unless more graduates study courses that are compatible with Employers requirements,instead of the Mickey Mouse variety then they are not likely to get anything better than shelf stacking,just ask any employer seeking people with a degree

john 52 13:47 17 Mar 11

jakimo

While your comments may have been applicable 30 years ago not many graduate's will still be employed in a capacity that relates to there University days a degree is more about showing you have the ability to learn but there will be some exceptions .

I personally did not support the idea that all students should have the ambition to go on to university as some are more suited to other careers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…