Is this true?

knockin on 13:56 22 Nov 07

I am surprised to read - via the current poll - that almost 50% of respondents believe that the lost HNRC information is in the hands of criminals. How do they know this?

simonjary 14:01 22 Nov 07
  interzone55 14:52 22 Nov 07

and they're now on Ebay

click here

DieSse 15:56 22 Nov 07

"How do they know this?"

- They don't.

Lots of people believe things they don't (and often cannot) know. It doesn't mean they are right.

Such is the human condition - unable to distinguish between speculative belief and knowledge based belief.

tried 16:46 22 Nov 07

something to be learnt here lads never tell the details to her magisties inland or customs rev. It may get stolen! and would you believe they dont give a s** t

Totally-braindead 17:18 22 Nov 07

At the end of the day no one knows where they are and lets face it that is worrying regardless of where it is. I can see why people are so concerned and lets face it who really believes members of the government and banks when they say that you shouldn't be too concerned as there isn't enough information for access into the likes of bank accounts.
I don't believe them for a start and I can understand why some people have moved their bank accounts.

Even supposing that there isn't enough info to get into bank accounts there certainly appears to be enough for identity theft as someone proved on the news last night I think it was.

Does anyone know if you can find out if your info is some of the lost stuff?

helen_312 17:35 22 Nov 07

' Does anyone know if you can find out if your info is some of the lost stuff? '

They were giving out a phone number earlier today for those concerened, about 7 million? :-)

With 25 million childrens names on the database, I would think that if you have children your name and account details will be on.

We shall be monitoring our bank account with vigor. We shall make sure our £9.27p is secure and safe.:-(

john bunyan 17:40 22 Nov 07

Were these files encrypted? If not, why not? I hope GCHQ does not use TNT (The transport service, not the explosive) to move data!
Surely sensitive data should all be encrypted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…