Truanting

morddwyd 20:45 16 Apr 12

Truanting in the news again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17705238 and plenty more.

I went to primary school in a small village between Newport and Pontypool, long since swallowed up by Cwmbran.

The only time I played truant (I didn't really, Lloydy and I decided that we didn't want to go back alter lunch so we went to the woods instead. Nobody had told us school was compulsory!) the truant officer picked me up within an hour and a half, and any child seen in school time would be quickly challenged.

Don't they have truant officers any more?

Forum Editor 22:06 16 Apr 12

"Don't they have truant officers any more?"

Yes, they do.

Chegs ®™ 02:25 17 Apr 12

I never missed a day at school until I reached secondary school.Then,rather than sit in the library all day(I was banned from attending lessons)I would frequently arrive,get my registration mark & then decide what I was going to do instead.Often,I would return home & go back to bed as I was up every morning at 3am to start work at 4am delivering milk(which I thoroughly enjoyed)The reason I got banned from attending lessons was I was classed as a nuisance for sleeping.When the school contacted my employer & told her I wasn't allowed to start so early,my start time was changed to 7:30am & I would arrive at school stinking of sour milk all day but still wasn't allowed to attend lessons so would return home to shower & then decide what to do.I eventually got a job helping out on a small-holding (for no money,I helped out as I loved it) but my parents wouldn't allow me to go to the farm during school hours,so I started remaining in school as if I missed any school time(even though I was sat in the library)I wasn't allowed to go to the farm.

The biggest problem with children today,is they lack respect for their elders/parents/guardians.They cannot be criticised,they cannot be disciplined(lazy parents dont bother,& anyone else is risking their job/liberty/fine or being sued)and the child begins to think its impervious.Even detention has to be pre-arranged.If I was given detention(& I attended it)my parents wanted to know why I was late home & on discovering the reason,I was disciplined(usually depriving me of my visit to the farm)Sports,we had 1st/2nd/3rd etc places in races,my own daughter got a certificate & medal just for taking part,along with everyone else who'd competed.When asked what the school gave to encourage children to achieve things,I was told a merit card was sent to the parents.My daughter has dozens,some are for "being polite" or "being helpful" but her schoolmates know nothing of these merits,so have no idea of trying to better her achievements.When my daughter decided to take part in the Sport Relief mile,I encouraged her to train(she went for a run each evening)and went along with her to the running track where the mile run was taking place.Everyone lined up on the start,everyone set off at a run except my daughter.She walked the first lap & on hearing me yelling to RUN broke into a jog for a few metres then resumed walking.As we were returning home,I jokingly said I thought it was a sponsored run not a walk & you'd think I'd slapped her face as she was mortified to hear criticism.

Fining the parent(s) is a good idea,but punish the parent(s)if they don't pay.A community penalty that the errant child can participate in too might work,or instead of a fine,a community penalty for both child/parent(s)anything at all that would drive home to the child/parent(s)that their behaviour is unacceptable.

v1asco 09:06 22 Apr 12

morddwyd

Being swallowed up by Cwmbran would be enough to cause anyone to skip School!

In my days the parents were contacted and the child disciplined. Now I have emigrated from the Valley of the Crows to Cardiff it is not uncommon to see Police/Security in the Malls questioning young children/teenagers or evem Mothers with school age kids duting term times.

Please excuse errors, takes an absolute age for me to edit enything on this site and in a rush today

rickf 11:08 22 Apr 12

There is something very wrong in our culture when parents cannot envision a better future for their children by instilling in them the importance of education. Fundamentally, this is a cultural problem developed over the years of laxed parental attitudes. It's parents who need to attend classes as to the importance of education. This is perhaps an unpopular thing to say but in general the middle class in the UK has been able to maintain and instill in their children he essence of education, ie attending school and get educated.

spuds 12:36 22 Apr 12

Truant officer's, I thought they went out years ago, in favour of Pupil Participation Enforcement Officer's, or some other similar obscure titled job ?.

In my younger days, it was usually an ex-forces chap with bike clips on a bike with a big leather case. Now it appears to be a case of a PPEO and a police officer's working together with a clipboard and named ID tag.

With the amount of holiday's the kid's seem to have off nowadays, you can never be all that sure if they are 'truanting' or whether its another of one of those days. A number of years ago, I recall some of the more senior school's around my neck of the woods, allowed subject choosing and attendance, and the teacher's being referred to by their first names, including how they dressed (hippie style?). Whoops seem to have been a case of a serious rethink, because most classes were empty for the first few hours of the day, and never really gain much attendance before gate closure time. And that wasn't called truanting, just experimenting!.

I'll get my coat!.

proudfoot 17:46 22 Apr 12

The modern name for "Truancy Officers" is Education Welfare Officers. My stepson is one.

OTT_B 18:54 22 Apr 12

I wonder what the relationship is between truancy and disruption in classes? It's one idea to penalise parents for their children's non attendance (not an idea I agree with), but does no one any good if they are the same children who disrupt classes when they are about in school....

Aitchbee 19:02 22 Apr 12

When I attended secondary school in the mid-to-late 60's,at the start of each period, an attendance card was conveyed by a nominated pupil to the next class, for example English class to Mathematics class...then the teacher would read out the names of each pupil...I wonder if they still have that system.

I deliberately 'dogged' school in primary 'cos' my pal knew all about birds' nests and the best trees to climb.

Bingalau 20:48 22 Apr 12

I left school at the age of fourteen to go to work. But I do remember that if I had been a year or so younger I would have had to remain at school longer. I don't think I could have behaved if that had been the case. Because I had lost my Scouse accent the other kids ribbed me mercilessly and sometimes I was bullied, but I was big enough and strong enough to hold my own. I was finding school boring and I was also out of my depth, because I had been put in a class that was probably about a year ahead of me in arithmetic/maths and I couldn't keep up. That was because when I came back from being evacuated just before the end of the war, the new school I was going to attend gave me a test to see which class I would go in, The test consisted of reading from Shakespeare and also an English writing test, some geography and history and all this in about an hour. I did well in those tests and the result was being put in a class where the maths grade was above my capabilities at that time. Years later a Royal Navy "Schoolie" Lieutenant on board ship, (with plenty of time to spare at sea), took me under his wing and gave me a good schooling in maths. But by then it was too late for some things. But looking back I can remember thinking about playing truant and I know I would have if I had to do another year.

Now I imagine that sixteen year old youngsters are a lot less controllable than fourteen year olds are. so truancy must have increased.

Macscouse 23:47 22 Apr 12

How many different names are there in Britain for truanting? In Liverpool we used to "sag off" school.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…