A trivial question for the grammar police.

bumpkin 14:18 31 May 15

Little else going on so may as well ask. What is the difference between "swapping something over" and "swapping something out" From my experience , it was always "over" but now "out" seems to be the preferred word.

spider9 14:38 31 May 15

Have to admit to never having heard the "swapping something out", always been 'over' for me.

Belatucadrus 14:48 31 May 15

I've always considered it this way if you do something like rotate the tyres on a car to equalise wear you are swapping something over because all the components in the set remain the same they're just moved about. If however you're replacing something with a new component from outside the existing set it could be seen as swapping out. I suspect some people use Swapping out where Replacing would do. To me swapping out implies It, whatever It is may be used somewhere else rather than simply get binned.

This however may be semantic gymnastics and complete cobblers.

bumpkin 14:49 31 May 15

Quick replies and I have to agree with both of you.

bumpkin 14:59 31 May 15

Posted before I read Bela.

bumpkin 15:15 31 May 15

I had not heard the word "out" used until a few years back when I returned an item and was told that I could have a refund or they would "swap it out for another one" It how seems to be a commomplace expression, for example "swap out your memory or HDD"

bumpkin 15:19 31 May 15

Another Americanism that seems to be creeping is "tear down" meaning take apart or dismantle.

Ungus 16:42 31 May 15

Never heard of swapping out. Tear down would be to demolish or used as tear down the road meaning go fast.

bumpkin 16:50 31 May 15

Ungus, they were my understandings of UK English.

Forum Editor 19:39 31 May 15

Actually you should really just be using the word 'swap' on its own - there's no need to add 'over' or 'out'.

bumpkin 20:51 31 May 15

Swap on its own is indeed OK, as to me is "swap it over for another one" it is the swap it out expression that seems to be more prevalent now that makes me ask. The UK and USA definitions of the language will of course differ somewhat but that does not mean that if I want some petrol I have to call it a gas station.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…