Trick or treat?

silverous 07:37 31 Oct 07

Do you answer the door?

What is an appropriate treat these days?

Last year I seem to recall distinctly unimpressed faces when presented with chocolate bars. I suppose they perhaps expect cash these days?

What tricks get played?

Has it become an excuse to justify chucking eggs at people's houses / cars if they don't pay up ?!

What are your thoughts?

My wife will be home alone until late this evening and she's a bit nervous about answering the door. Perhaps she is worried unnecessarily as we live in a nice, quiet area.

wiz-king 08:03 31 Oct 07

Put up a notice --
All ghouls will be exorcised! -- & -- Witches will be burnt

silverous 08:11 31 Oct 07

You know I think you might have the solution there... I may leave a little while before ticking as resolved!

Grantrh 08:45 31 Oct 07

We never open the door

It's a horrible 'tradition' - which makes potential vandalism acceptable for one day of the year, which in my humble opinion it is not!

Quickbeam 08:48 31 Oct 07

JanetO 08:54 31 Oct 07

I don't see any harm in it and give the kids sweets.

silverous 08:58 31 Oct 07

JanetO - neither do I as long as they are:

i) Happy with sweets
and
ii) Don't do any damage if you don't.

But then....what is the 'trick' aspect ?

laurie53 09:08 31 Oct 07

It's no more traditional than turkey at Christmas.

It's just another American import.

Monoux 09:17 31 Oct 07

silverous -- You could try the link below and print the notice to put on your door -- you can always cut off the thames valley police bit - might make your wife feel a bit safer click here

silverous 09:32 31 Oct 07

Thanks Monoux, much appreciated.

ventanas 11:25 31 Oct 07

Absolutely hate it. Not only the constant pointless interruptions during the evening, but the enormous load of junk related to this "event" in the shops, which people seem delighted to waste huge amounts of money on.

Also there was no way any child of mine would have gone out on a dark night knocking on doors.

Soon to be followed by an equally obnoxious event - 5th November. The sooner fireworks get banned outside of organised displays the better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac