Trains 'too costly' for rail firm

peter99co 18:05 11 Nov 09

click here

The journey by road is 99 miles.

The firm said it made no apologies for getting the "best value" for taxpayers.

Forum Editor 18:35 11 Nov 09

as though the travel cost is not the issue here."

Spot on.

AL47 19:06 11 Nov 09

ive always found road chaper than rail,

but that last part is def true!

Noldi 20:58 11 Nov 09

Living in a country that is well known for its transport systems it makes me tear my hair out when I return to travel on the English transport system. Gatwick to Horsham costs me £4.50 to travel 12 miles. No chance to get quickly on to the train because the ticket machines are slow and complicated, tourist stand at the machine wondering which of the multiple tickets to London is the correct one for them.

Switzerland the 20 mile journey to the airport cost me around £2, I can buy a multiple journey ticket in advance just get it stamped by the machine on the platform, dont even have to use a simple punch in destination post code machine, one ticket all transport systems, first or second class the only options.

Buses meet the trains till well after midnight and run all night at weekends and over the festive period no need to drink drive from you Christmas party etc you can always get home. Only minus point is you pay more +20% for the night trains (after 1 am). How many lives does this save?

Until the British system comes under one roof and is subsidised freeing up a lot of road space it will just go on from one mess to another. If you are going to price drivers off the road at least give them a choice and motivation to give up the car.

I have planned not take my next company car in March, incentives from the Swiss system is too high for me to ignore any longer, Approx £260 pcm after I have paid for public transport.

Noldi

onionskin 23:28 16 Nov 09

When I win the Lottery, I'm going to travel everywhere by train.

jack 10:20 17 Nov 09

A recent holiday meant getting my self from North Kent to Dover.
Train would have meant- travel to London thence to Dover-cost -I have no idea- except that a single to London would have been in excess of £6 or so.
Friends offered to drive-120 round trip -£20 plus in fuel.
Coach?- Pass Pass to Blue Water bus station - National Express Coach to Dover - £4.95[60+ discount]
No contest.

peter99co 15:49 17 Nov 09

I have given up using the rail system and don't expect it will be better run in my lifetime.

Too many cooks spoil the broth and this is the problem. There is no single plan and all the different groups are trying to spend their way out of trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…