Trafalgar Day

Jak_1 15:40 21 Oct 09

Well me hearties today marks the aniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar arguably one of Britains finest sea victories, October 21 1805. Victory in that battle defined Britain as the finest of the worlds seafaring nations. Victory was paramount, to have lost that battle would have strengthened Boney's drive on invading the UK. Sadly the Admiral Lord Nelson lost his life achieving victory in his greatest sea battle. Vastly outnumbered byt the combined fleet of French and Spanish warships. Nelson's audacious battle plan, and courage of his sailors that day ensured that Britain remained Britain and did not become a provence of France.
This evening I shall be downing a tot or two of Nelsons Blood to mark the occasion, I still have some of the real stuff (as was issued), hic!

peter99co 15:44 21 Oct 09

click here

Have a sing a long to this then!

john bunyan 16:53 21 Oct 09

Enjoy your "up spirits". Illegally, technically, a friend was given a pint of "pussers" rum by the SPO(V) for his 20th birthday gleaned from the "spillage allowance" - it went down a treat added to the punchbowl on 21 Oct 1957 at a party in Malta. have a toast to "The Immortal Memory"

Forum Editor 17:24 21 Oct 09

is OK by me, although personally I doubt that I could get too excited about a military victory that happened over 200 years ago. Still, nothing wrong with a little celebration to lift the spirits at the moment.

Have a good evening.

John B 17:30 21 Oct 09

According to Wikipedia it was 27 v 33 ships click here

I've just finished reading this, which might be of interest ... click here

Jak_1 19:55 21 Oct 09

You are quite correct with those figures, however, the battle started with only 12 British ships against 22 French/Spanish ships. This exerpt from the BBC websites explains.

'At the start of the battle, when the first British ships arrived, they were initially fighting a far greater number of enemy ships. They won the day because of their speed and flexibility, and by the time they were weakening, a later wave of vessels was in place to administer the coup de grace.

In fact the battle was won while the enemy had far more ships in the fight than the British. The real triumph was not of 27 ships against 33, but of 12 against 22. British casualties tell the story - 12 ships fought the early and decisive phase of the battle, suffering some 1200 deaths and injuries.'

For the full story :

click here

As a note; the ensuing hurricane force storm that began shortly after the battle had ended and lasted a week claimed more live, British, French and Spanish than did the battle itsef! It was because Nelson knew the storm was on it's way that he fought the battle when he did.

Forum Editor 19:58 21 Oct 09

How did Nelson know the storm was on its way, and how come the French didn't?

I'm not looking to pick an argument - I'm just interested.

morddwyd 20:11 21 Oct 09

Have you forgotten he only had one arm?

Injuries like that play up the very devil when the weather's about to change!

morddwyd 20:17 21 Oct 09

Although a "crabfat" I served most of my time in Coastal Command and its successors, and celebrated 21 October nearly every year (any excuse!).

Little known fact - the Royal Air Force issued pusser's on its marine craft at sea long after it was discontinued in the Andrew.

I had a tot while doing a torpedo trial from Mountbatten (Plymouth) in about 72/73.

peter99co 20:32 21 Oct 09

Hardy came below deck to see Nelson just after half-past two, and informed him that a number of enemy ships had surrendered. Nelson told him that he was sure to die, and begged him to pass his possessions to Emma. With Nelson at this point were the chaplain Alexander Scott, the purser Walter Burke, Nelson's steward, Chevalier, and Beatty.

Nelson, fearing that a gale was blowing up, instructed Hardy to be sure to anchor.

Jak_1 20:43 21 Oct 09

"As a matter of interest,

How did Nelson know the storm was on its way, and how come the French didn't?

I'm not looking to pick an argument - I'm just interested."

Vice-Admiral Pierre-Charles Villeneuve (The allied Comander) probably did as he was a very experienced seaman. However his morale was only marginaly higher than those under his command which was very low and he struggled to get them to obey at speed his commands. That in itself was instrumental in him losing the battle in that due to slow response to his orders his fleet was in disarray.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac